Please recommend a top-notch AT program.

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by pvsurfer, Oct 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I am now running ZoneAlarm Security Suite (Firewall + AV), SpybotSD and SpywareBlaster. I don't believe that any of those are designed to protect against Trojans and if that is the case, I'd appreciate a recommendation for a top-notch AT program.

Thanks!

2. claire

claire Guest

Hi Pvsurfer,

Give a try to Trojan Hunter,TDS or BOClean. :)

3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

4. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Sorry Blackcat to disturb this but to be honest the only AT with strong signatures, not closeable with taskmanager, daily updates and a real memscanner which scans for dll's , patched trojans, is EWIDO,

I am licenced to tds-3, trojanhunter 4 (in fact all of them) and EWIDO and the only one which scans when I have downloaded, wrote, copied, moved is ewido. and that is not a lie. it has one of the best memscanners available...

and is a lot cheaper then the rest.

5. Infinity

ask anybody who is not affiliated to any of the at's and you will get a clue...

this I say with all respect to the developers and users of them all. just my two cents

6. Blackcat

Thanks for the input, Infinity

I have licensed copies of both BOClean and TDS-3 so maybe it's time for me to give Ewido a spin ;)

7. Infinity

I know Blackcat, you are a respectable poster, it is just that it is a brand new scanner (only six!!!) months old and allready ahead of the competition. the only thing TDS is ahead of ewido is tds's intern utilities (tcp bridge, port scanner,.. ... ...) and their second to none support hence this great forum)
    do not get me wrong I LOVE TDS but to be honest I am deeeeply impressed by ewido, but who am I anyway

cheers

8. Blackcat

Downloading now :D

9. Infinity

:D cool, now we are two

10. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi pvsurfer,

I have licensed copies of TDS-3, TrojanHunter, BOClean and Ewido. In general, I still rely most on on TDS-3 and Diamondcs when I believe I have a trojan on my machine. Ewido does provide excellent real-time support, but sometimes I have to shut it down (especially when I am doing long scans) because of the resources Ewido consumes. Both are excellent programs and both detect trojans or traces that the other misses.

So it is hard to say what would work best under your circumstances. What I did was trial all of them and observed what they found and how they ran. In order of "found" trojans and traces on my machine, this has been my experience over the last year or so:

1) TDS-3
    2) Ewido
    3) TrojanHunter
    4) BOClean

but they are all very close because there have not been all that many that have seeped through my other protection layers. So, just take my limited experiences for what it is worth and I hope this helps you make a decision. Also, I might add that Giant Anti-Spyware has detected spyware that Ad-aware and Spybot as well as KAV missed.

Rich

11. Infinity

I had some personal experiences with some zip files tds didn't detected it, although once unpacked it detected it but ewido founded them into those zips.

th didn't found them... unpacked it did.

this was one occasion and this was a big change for me. I am waiting too on version 4 of tds. but then again: EWIDO'S HEURISTICS will be quite impressive...

12. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Infinity,

I have had similar experiences. So it is a tough call. I guess if someone is going to purchase one, a coin flip is as good a way to decide as any other. If I had only one, something would not have gone detected on my machine - at least for a while. Whether there is any real exposure, is impossible for me to say.

Rich

13. Infinity

that is nicely spoken Rich. that is why we have licences for multiple at's I guess :D

have a nice eve.

14. Cochise

Cochise A missed friend

Now we are three.......... :D

Cochise, :cool:

15. Infinity

hmmmmm :D

16. muf

muf Registered Member

If you use any of the following then you'd be ok. There is very little between them and they all update on a regular basis.

BOClean
    Ewido
    TDS-3
    The Cleaner
    TrojanHunter

Consider the advice when people say what they recommend, but don't take it as gospel. What is important is that 'YOU' choose the application that 'YOU' are happy with. Try them all yourself and then decide. Don't allow people to bully you into which AT you should choose.

muf

17. ??????

?????? Guest

"If you use any of the following then you'd be ok. There is very little between them and they all update on a regular basis.

BOClean
    Ewido
    TDS-3
    The Cleaner
    TrojanHunter"

Out of these five scanners there is only one which does not have a memory scanner: The Cleaner. The other four scanners do have a memory scanner (although the quality differs).

18. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

I would recommend TDS as the highest class AT program.

19. Optimist

Optimist Registered Member

Four!

20. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Creature pvsurfer,
    BoClean=Trojan Defense. I do believe one of the free scanners Edwido or A2 would make a nice addition to BoClean. The support for BoClean is so good I think you can not go wrong. My opinion...got to fly. ;)

21. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

While there's no clear concensus winner, I'll download trials of the most highly-regarded ones: BOClean, Ewido, TDS-3 and TrojanHunter. Then perhaps I'll be able to choose one to buy after checking out their interface, operation, and whether or not they conflict with my AV & AS programs.

I want to thank everyone for their input. ;)

22. muf

muf Registered Member

There is not a trial available for BOClean. But there is a cast iron 30 day money back guarantee if you don't like it. Best thing to do in this situation is trial the others first then purchase BOClean and give it a whirl. If you preferred one of the others then get your money back and use your refund to purchase one of the others.

muf

23. Blackcat

As with any software, after numerous suggestions, the choice comes down to you ;)

Good luck.

24. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

No doubt everyone has read this dozens of times before, but just in case...
    know for a certainty that Ewido ONLY runs under Win 2K or XP. See HERE.

That fact shuts me out.(sob) :'(

25. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Well put Black Cat and may I add that the most important thing is we have another user that knows it is important to add this type of protection to the security arsenal. Post back pvsurfer with your views. I am considering a free scanner addition to BoClean and desire opinions.
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.