Please I really need some help (eMule cleanup)

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Jadex1, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jadex1

Jadex1 Registered Member

Hello,

First of all I apologize if this is in the wrong forum. I really need some help, my little brother accidently downloaded something called eMule. I know a little about computer security. I have Windows Vista, I also have Spybot Search and destroy on my computer, as well as norton 360 which is about to expire, i also use the Yahoo anti-spy. I tried my best to uninstall all of the emule files, but when ever i use the yahoo anti-spy it comes up, and it says i might need to be an admistratior to quarnitine it. I am the admististrator on the computer. when i run Norton and Spybot nothing comes up. How can i protect my computer better and get rid of this emule thing from coming up, also occasionally something called KoolyNoody comes up. Sorry one more thing, for some reason i cant load Mozilla firefox either that might be unrelated. Please can anyone help me?

2. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Re: Please I really need some help.

I would try reinstalling eMule again and then going into program files and finding the uninstaller -- right click on the uninstaller and choose "run as administrator" -- this should remove the program.

As far as traces go...you might have to go into the "ProgramData" folder and delete the eMule folder if there is one. Do the same for "Program Files" if it exists. In order to access the "ProgramData" folder you will need to "show hidden files and folders"

Then go into regedit...do a search for emule and delete any entries.

Then run CCleaner and run the disk cleaner and registry cleaner www.ccleaner.com

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Try what Toby75 suggested for uninstalling.
    You want to be very careful if you go hunting in the registry!
    Only delete what you are sure is related to emule.

Firefox normally loads slow here.
    Does Firefox act strange in some way?

Kooly Noody appears to be a browser hijacker.

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080906141742AAVTR4p

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

If you run ccleaner's registry cleaner I highly suggest creating a backup when it asks you.

5. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Yes...extremely important advice! Create a system restore point before attempting this.

6. Jadex1

Jadex1 Registered Member

First of all i forgot to mention that Emule says P2P. I did what he said, and it doesnt seem to really be making any big change. I looked under program files and it came up, as well as a bunch of other sites. Something came up and I think it was realated to emule so i deleted it. I think it worked, i run teh Anti-spy and nothing comes up now. Is there anything I download that could to like a super good check to make sure that i have no more spyware or other stuff like that?

7. the Tester

8. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

Do an advanced search for eMule -- choose "search everywhere" and "search indexed files and folders."

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  9. Jadex1

Jadex1 Registered Member

How do i do an advanced search? I have done so far what you guys have told me. Firefox still wont load, i uninstalled it then reinstalled it and nothing. Norton 360 seems to be havening a few bugs now. what would you guys recommend for virus protection instead of Norton, if you dont like that.

10. the Tester

If you do decide to replace Norton there are many options. You could pick one antivirus to install and see how it runs on your system and see if you like it.

11. Toby75

Toby75 Registered Member

I really don't think eMule has anything to do with FF not loading.

d/l this and run a scan...clean everything it finds.

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyt...4572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

If you want the best AV IMO, then there is no substitute for Avira Antivir
    http://www.avira.com/en/pages/index.php

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  12. Jadex1

Jadex1 Registered Member

Thanks all try that.

13. the Tester

14. Jadex1

Jadex1 Registered Member

I got norton runing normaly but I'm not sure if i really want to keep it. What is the best free Antivirus software out there or is true you pay for what you get? I'm still runing Malwarebytes right now.

15. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

For a free anti-virus, I like Avira or Avast. For now, I would fix your current problems before changing your security setup.

What did you do with the kooly noody and where did it come up? A little searching says it's spyware.

Another good anti-malware scanner is SuperAntiSpyware. Get the free version which is a scanner only and offers no real time protection. It's good for cleaning computers or the occasional scan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.