please help

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bigsteff, Dec 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigsteff

bigsteff Registered Member

if i get an email dated the 06/12/2006 . uk date
    and i don't get it untill the 13/12/2006 . uk date

on outlook express .
    and it works on a server , within scotland

question is , is the server to blame for the delay , or is the problem the internet ,
    or is there some way that you can send someone an email on the 12/12/2006 to arrive on the 13/12/20006 and have it dated so that it was sent on the 06/12/2006

in otherwords the person sending it, is trying to make out they sent it a week ago and making you out as a**hole for not responding to it

2. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I am not an email expert, but I have received email that have been dated many years in the past and dated from the future as well. It usually depends on the system clock on the sender's machine. Email generation software may also insert a bogus (not a true) date on messages as well. The mail server can sometimes be delayed in processing messages so the message could sometimes show up later in your inbox when the sender sent it several days ago. It depends if the mail server had processing issues. Since I get tons of spam mail with bogus dates (from the past and future), I think the "incorrect" date is originating from the sender's PC in most cases in my situation.

3. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

It may also be dependent on the server.

My school server goes down often, and I often don't get mails until many days later.

4. bigsteff

bigsteff Registered Member

my partner tried sending an email after she changed the time on her pc...but when the email got where it was going it was the correct time . so changing the time and date on the pc sending out the email will not give the false info

5. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

That may be true when the email server processes and time stamps the message. I have received email from others on my network server (inhouse system) where their PCs had the wrong set up when the PC booted up and the message was post dated. For most applications, I think the server that handles the email adds the date and time to the message. I know that a lot of spam messages that I receive is coming from the same sender who spoofs the sender name and time/date of the message. Some of these messages are dated 50 years ago, I was not even online at that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.