please help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by jaffers, Mar 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jaffers

jaffers Registered Member

i have just lost an important spreadhseet. i am brand new to Acronis and tried backing up the spreadsheet but instead i lost ito_O?!?!?!?!? i have no idea where it is or where it went. I can show the log i got from acronis if that will help but i really need to get it back?

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

If you created a backup image, you can “plug” it and use Windows Explorer to search for the file.
    I don’t know how a file could have been lost during a backup, so if that’s what happened, I can’t help. I’m a little unclear of just what steps occurred to get you to where you are at now.

3. jaffers

i tried to do a differential file backup and i do have a log the last entry in the log says i tried to create a full backup archive from c:document and settings/jeffrey/mydocuments/ to "documentsandsettings/jeffrey/mydocuments/sportsbetting/ncaagrimeballs.xls"

i terminated this in the process of it happening because i wanted to make a backup of the second file listed.... since then the ncaagrimeballs file is gone?

4. Chutsman

Chutsman Registered Member

There really is no need to use Acronis to backup your "My Documents" folder. It is far safer to use the built-in zip feature of XP if you want a compressed backup.

5. nattres

nattres Registered Member

Could you elaborate on "safer". When I bought TI9 I was hoping for a one stop solution, keeping a files backup and an image backup, both by TI9, on USB drive backed up again by less frequent copies to DVD.

6. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

My Opinion, just an opinion:
    I doubt any readily available software could handle files as reliably as XP. Just because a zillion people are doing it and if there were problems they have been identified and corrected. Files and Folders (FF) backup in TI is a new feature and has not undergone as extensive user testing. Sure, it should work but if I had to place any bets on which one was more reliable at this time it would be XP.

I don't use TI FF backup (yet). I plan on using TI for FF backup to replace another program I am using right now but that'll be a couple of builds later. Sort of like getting Vista when SP1 is released.

7. Steve M

Steve M Registered Member

Hi,
    Is the file possibly still on your system? Have you checked your recycle bin?
    Have you looked for hidden files in the directory it was in before?

I hope you find what you've lost. Let us know.

Steve@millman.biz

8. seekforever

seekforever Registered Member

Good idea.

A differential backup was mentioned in post #3. Does this mean there is another backup copy, albeit out of date perhaps, that is available?

9. jaffers

i have searched this computer high and low and the only mention of the .xls file that is missing is a shortcut that i found to the file however when i click on th eshortcut it says that the file is either missing, moved or deleted. I have looked in the recycle bin and it is not there.

10. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello jaffers,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for the delay with the response.

I've just tried to reproduce the problem you have decribed but was unable to get the same results. Actually, when you create a file-based backup or a disk\partition image the source data should stay intact anyway. I'm afraid that it is rather hard to figure out what exactly has caused the problem. However, the first thing we recommend you to do is to make sure that you use the latest build (2337) of Acronis True Image 9.0 which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 2337.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Please try to reproduce the problem using build 2337 of Acronis True Image 9.0 in conjunction with any unneeded .xls file and see the result. If you are unable to reproduce the problem then most likely it was caused by an accident and will not appear again. Otherwise, please provide us with the following information:

- Create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post;

- Where do you store your image to?

- Describe actions taken before the problem appears step-by-step.

Please submit a request for technical support. Attach all the collected files and information to your request along with the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.