Please help! - Which is the best Anti spyware/malware that is affordable?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Avail, Sep 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Vikorr,
    Thanks for the warning. I didn't notice any conflict upto now, but that doesn't mean anything.
    Since I practice discipline on the internet, I don't get any serious infection anymore, which is very good, but when my scanners don't find anything, I can't say they are good or bad or conflict with eachother either :D
    When I forget to run CCleaner, one of my first scanners find sometimes tracking cookies, which are normally removed by CCleaner.

I ditched WinPatrol based on this thread :
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=93736&highlight=Winpatrol
    where I also found this table :
    http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?pg=redundant
    where you can see that MSAS realtime + SpywareGuard cover almost any possible infection on that table.

Of course they didn't talk about possible conflicts between MSAS realtime and SpywareGuard.
    That doesn't surprise me, the security industry created such a big mess, that you don't know what to combine anymore unless you have a bad experience or read about it.
    If there are any conflicts, I want to see it myself, so I keep MSAS and SpywareGuard for now.
    If MSAS realtime wasn't able to remove a malware because of a conflict, I assume that MSAS will remove it during the daily run of the MSAS scanner.

You were talking about ShadowUser. That's the only security software I would like to have and even pay for it.
    I'm just waiting for other similar miracles, that are NOT based on definitions/heuristics. :)

2. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Quote from Vikorr:
    "I've read in a number of places that MSAS and SpywareGuard conflict...that is, if MSAS finds a spyware and tries to clean it...if one of the registry items used by the spyware is monitored by SpywareGuard, MSAS won't be able to clean the infection fully <prevented from doing so by spywareguard>."

I couldn't agree more with Vikorr, and when i tried to download SpywareGuard on my desktop comp i would instantly get a bluescreen. Javacool on their website do warn about SpywareGuard being 'work in progress' and advise to use SpywareBlaster instead (although they are not exactly the same thing).

It would be interesting to find out, using the members experience how many programs are conflicting in particular environments and to compile a list that could be useful for future reference when trying out a program.

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Osaban,
    You convince me even more to keep MSAS and SG on my computer.
    I never had a BSOD, caused by MSAS or SG or both, I would have remember that, because I hate BSOD's.
    I guess when you have a conflict or a compatibility problem, it is caused by your actual configuration.
    Some people have never a problem with a software, while others do have a problem with exactly the same software.
    Thanks for the info. :cool:

4. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

ErikAlbert,
    I wasn't trying to suggest you should get rid of SpywareGuard and wasn't even saying it is a useless program. The funny thing is that I have a laptop and a Desktop computer with basically the same applications but Spywareguard wasn't tolerated on the desktop but would install beautifully on the laptop. I ended up uninstalling SpywareGuard anyway because i wanted to reduce the number of my apps to a minimum and my minimum is still a lot(6 active programs in realtime).

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hi,
    Firefox holes are discovered all the time. Look at the recent IDN vulnerability. But . . . the patch was released within only a few days. With IE, you have to wait a month for updates. Plus, Firefox is not embedded in the OS and therefore, it is more secure by default.
    Mrk

6. Avail

Avail Registered Member

Hi Guest!

Thank you for your reply! What is that site? Lost of spyware that can hop on your computer?

Thank you all for your help will reply soon! Thank you so much!! :):):):)

Keep helping...
    Avail

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Ah that's no guest, that's Global Force, a very knowledgable local here at Wilders.

That site is run by Eric Howes, he is the anti-spyware guru.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

8. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Use IE or FF without worry.Any malaware downloaded are contained.Works fine for me and free.Sandboxie .Running ZAP and Winpatrol with no conflicts.

Only been using Sanboxie a coupla weeks and it seems to do as stated.Ran Scoundrel Simulator through sandbox and all reg changes were contained.

Still have Ewido,A2 and Giant(yep still getting updates) as on demand along with my resident AV.Can't be too careful.

Only win2000 and above.XP pro sp2 here.

9. Avail

Avail Registered Member

Whoops sorry! Hmmm didn't read it properly. :( So it is Global force. Thank you!

Thank you everyone for replying!!! Here is my late reply soorry!

Here is what I am running:
    I am running IE 6, with spybot, MS, spyware guard. Running the free scanner of Spyware doctor.

But occassionally some nasty spyware gets through. I am not a heavy user that goes on dangerous warez sites, etc, you name it. Just general sites. However being safe then sorry is what I am aiming.

1. Online Armor is good but has a fee! :( Is it worth the fee? Is there another with out a fee? That is as good as it

1b. Would i need it if I do not have nasty spyware?

1c. If I get it, would I still be protected just as good if I do not get the update? I'll just update it every 3 years. After all it states that it can capture spyware with out a database. This true?

10. justanoob

justanoob Guest

If you just visit general sites and are constantly fighting with spyware something is fundamentally wrong.

Either

1) Your browser/windows is unpatched or has bad security settings

or

2) You are manually installing software bundled with spyware.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.