Please help w/new graphics card & system build

Discussion in 'hardware' started by innerpeace, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

(526) Re: Please help with new graphics card

@innerpeace

Yes in the BIOS. Anyways that screenshot shows AHCI is working fine :thumb:.

You can install the console if you want upto you. It already has the driver installed. Remember to install the intel chip id utility and take a backup image.

Hey Hairy you can rest easy now he's done it :isay:.

2. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

(527) Re: Please help with new graphics card

No, I installed the drivers like in the pic I posted and installed the All folder for the Chipset drivers. I think I tried to select the whole Matrix driver folder, but it wouldn't work.

I think I'm doing it right either way, but I just can't switch. In all honesty, I've given up on switching and will stick with AHCI.

Thanks for the explanation. It makes more sense to me now. I was able to see the ctrl - i options the last time I was in RAID mode so I had the Console installed.

:thumb: If the info from the last pic I posted is wrong then I'll fiddle more with nLite or go to plan B.

As you can see from my pic, I have them enabled. Can I disable them anytime or does it have to be done before installing in AHCI mode?

Thank you!

3. innerpeace

(52:cool: Re: Please help with new graphics card

marykymoo,

What is the intel chip id utility? Is it just the one to identify the chipsets? If so, why would I need it?

Edit: Is this is? http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=861&lang=eng

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  4. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

(529) Re: Please help with new graphics card

markymoo

In fact innerpeace did it since his post 492-ImageShack link-identical drivers installed.

So,as far as I can make out, everything has been fine since then with AHCI ,except the query about AHCI not switching to RAID for reasons as we discussed

In that case,all that was necessary was to install the Management Console,which may have been installed in any case-to proceed or otherwise with RAID,nothing else.:)

No they dont-which makes them a lot faster to use of course-but will check specifically whether the type of folders you mentioned get removed.

5. Hairy Coo

(530) Re: Please help with new graphics card

innerpeace,

I would say everything has been right since your post 492-so leave alone.

Check out my post 518 re switching-explained all this to you in some detail.o_O o_O

Just stick with AHCI if Hot Swap is important to you.

And worry about RAID only when you need it :)

Do it the same time as changing the BIOS to/from AHCI etc

6. innerpeace

(531) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Hiya Hairy Coo :). I did read post 518 and appreciate the help. Hot Swapping is cool as I don't have to shutdown my machine after a data backup. I will stick with AHCI as switching is incredibly cumbersome. I will try your advice tomorrow as an experiment and see if I can switch from AHCI to RAID and see if it works. If it doesn't, I'll be fine. You were right, I was concerned about if I could switch to RAID and if all the drivers were there.

:thumb: I will have a look. From memory, I know of at least 2 IDE settings in the BIOS.

So, how's the OCing going :D. I can't wait to get setup again myself to give it a go. I might even re-seat my heatsink and give it a good lapping. I really want to lap my CPU, but I think I will hold off on that. Who knows, I may even bump my vcore up a little :eek:.

7. markymoo

(532) Re: Please help with new graphics card

No the intel chip id utility that is the Intel® Chipset Identification Utility which just tells you what chipset you got.

I mean the Intel® Chipset Software Installation Utility also called the INF Update Utility. It should be on your motherboard CD or can get here. It supports P35 chipsets.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/inf/

It's a system identifier to the motherboard devices what chipset is being used and is necessary to make devices work better together. It probably would of sorted out the mouse problem Hairy was having before but didn't dawn on me at the time. It should be installed first.

8. markymoo

(533) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Hairy & Innerpeace.

What Hairy was saying was setting up as RAID like you did in post 492 you also enabled AHCI which he is quite correct but as you were having problems i suggested AHCI as it wasn't going as well as we planned and was sounding confusing for you which is quite understandable as it can be. Whatever one you set in BIOS AHCI or RAID, the XP install only pulls off the drivers it needs not both so in fact switching between the RAID and AHCI will result in blue screen as XP only installs 1 or the other.

The idea of AHCI it enables the NCQ which is little enhancement in itself. The idea of hot swapping is for internal drives and as you only got 1 internal drive it becomes redundant :D. You can't have AHCI on your external as that is not connected to ICH9R but the JMicron controller or is it Marvel on that board. If you had a SATA lead connected from the ICH9R to the external then maybe.

At end of day you learnt more about your pc and is a good intro if you go RAID.

In fact you get more performance of AHCI and RAID on X64 XP, Vista X64 because the driver is more optimised and uses the newer storport driver not the scsiport driver of 32bit Windows. Read this doc http://download.microsoft.com/download/5/6/6/5664b85a-ad06-45ec-979e-ec4887d715eb/Storport.doc

Heres is a database of the fastest drives good for choosing what drives to buy if you want high transfer rate for RAID. Select WB99 Disk Read/Transfer Rate.
    http://www.storagereview.com/php/benchmark/bench_sort.php

9. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

(534) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Wow. Raid on a graphic's card. Whats next?:D :D :D

10. markymoo

(535) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Next? TV.

11. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

(536) Re: Please help with new graphics card

A very nice guide to slipstreaming XP with nLite. It even offers a ZIP file which contains the most important SATA drivers (AMD/ATI, Intel and NVIDIA) to use with AHCI/RAID.

12. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

(537) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Sometimes...you people scare me.
    Hugger

13. markymoo

14. Hairy Coo

(539) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Innerpeace,

What I suggested previously is just stick to AHCI if you see an advantage-dont try enabling a RAID volume until you are actually ready to use it-of course it will work at that point!

Just be happy with AHCI-LEAVE IT ALONE -seems to be working properly.

Unfortunately atm,the BIOS wont lock into higher speeds-will work on it,so I can regain the World Overclocking ChampionShip:D

15. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

16. Hairy Coo

(541) Re: Please help with new graphics card

markymoo,

Unfortunately the StorageReview seems hopeleslly out of date-still listing the IBM DeathStar:rolleyes: .

My current choice (ignoring the exotics,Raptor etc) would be either the Samsung Spinpoint 750 OR the WD Caviar 640-both selling locally for about $100,very fast even before RAID.

Was thinking of running RAID 0,but have decided its not really worthwhile,as most of the data transfer would be small chunks which probably wouldnt see much advantage,as opposed to large amounts such as video editing.
    RAID access times can be slower.

Will probably install the Samsung 750.

Good article HERE about the optimal number of drives for RAID.

17. Hairy Coo

(542) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Lucas,

Good Find:thumb: :thumb:

The Drivers Pack does in fact contain the Matrix drivers,which otherwise are quite awkward to extract.

18. Hairy Coo

(543) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Is IT working??:D

19. markymoo

(544) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Yes notice they don't mention any price. It should bring down the price of the 32Gb.

lol

20. markymoo

(545) Re: Please help with new graphics card

You right i given the wrong link, it's the old tests. This is the updated tests.
    Select the test in the dropdown. I noticed in the old test the VelociRaptor was not listed.

http://www.storagereview.com/Testbed4Compare.sr

The Samsung F1 are great performance and the price is good too not far behind the VelociRaptor on transfer rate.

You match the stripe size to the size of the files you using. Windows general use a 32K or 64K stripe is right, for video editing 128MB or 256K.
    If you using software it loads faster and Windows is more responsive. You not just increasing the transfer rate. You use drives with low seek times you speed up access dramatically. That article doesn't even mention using small partitions to keep the data on the edge of the platter. If you need lots of storage space, you might as well have faster access anyway. I would go for the 1TB instead of the 750Gb. If you sat browsing the web then no it won't benefit.

You can read many a article that RAID 0 is not worth bothering with but using the Samsung 1TB that only use 3 platters and stick the data on the edge sure makes it worth it.

21. innerpeace

(546) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Ok, I sorta thought that you meant the INF drivers. I included them on the nLited cd with Hairy Coo's instructions of selecting multiple drivers and pointing it towards the "All" folder. Also, is the INF also considered the chipset drivers?

This is from the MSI site.
    and
    I have another question. If I take my ext. HDD and mount it internally with AHCI, can I turn it off whenever I'm done using it? If so, how do I do it?

22. innerpeace

(547) Re: Please help with new graphics card

It's funny that you stopped by. Your part of the reason that I asked about RAID to begin with :).

Thanks for the links Lucas! I will have a look when I get a chance.

Good advice! I will stick with AHCI and leave it alone.

It's weird that your BIOS won't let your OC stick. I guess the current title holder is safe for now :shifty:.

23. markymoo

(54:cool: Re: Please help with new graphics card

yes, just reminding they were mentioned before in a previous post awhile back. if they missing it makes for unstable pc.

It very much looks like eSATA supports ICH9R from the IO port at the back already. It not simple to turn off unless you built a switch. It not necessary the eSATA does AHCI and 3Gb. They provided plenty of USB ports. It's a great little board you have there. It was a great buy.

Whats your plan now ? Are you pretty much done? I suppose using your PC will feel boring after all that lol. Happy Computing Mate.

Last edited: May 31, 2008
  24. Hairy Coo

(549) Re: Please help with new graphics card

markymoo

Thanks for the info.

Do you mean a large Samsung would be an alternative to RAID 0 for more general usage-OR that 2-3 of them (at $200 each)would make a good array?

25. innerpeace

(550) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Lucas, I had a chance to look over the nlite link. Very good info :thumb: Thanks again :).

markymoo
    Thanks. I'm happy with this MB and it must be ok if I can get to 3GHz without a vcore increase. The only downside is I don't see many people running MSI board in the hardware forums.

I'll probably re-install tomorrow and see how it goes. I guess I am pretty much done except for stability testing and of course some hopefully minor troubleshooting. Now you and Hairy Coo can leave for Canada :cool:. Thank you!

Hairy Coo,
    You might have a look at Zsoft Uninstaller which is free. It hasn't been updated in awhile but I've seen a few people mention it here at Wilders. I installed it but only used it briefly as I think I was in the middle of something else.
    http://www.zsoft.dk/index/software_details/4
    http://www.softpedia.com/get/Tweak/Uninstallers/ZSoft-Uninstaller.shtml

There is also Total Uninstaller and Your Uninstaller. I'll see if I can find more info on them.

Here is an older thread with some of the above mentioned uninstallers.
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=188215

Last edited: May 31, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.