Please help w/new graphics card & system build

Discussion in 'hardware' started by innerpeace, Feb 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

(501) Re: Please help with new graphics card

:D Yes, and the rabbit-hole was/is very deep. Thanks for taking the time to explain some of the details.

I did make an attempt today at installing the nlited OS with the BIOS RAID set to AHCI. After the install, I installed the Matrix Storage Console that asked for a reboot. While rebooting, I entered the BIOS and switched to RAID mode and it didn't work. Did I do something wrong or do I need to install the OS in RAID mode first and then switch to AHCI mode? I forgot to try switching from RAID to AHCI.

The guide was good and that's what I followed. If I install in AHCI mode now, would I be able to switch to RAID later without a OS reinstall?

I'll take the blue pill now :p.

So I guess this is my answer. Install in RAID mode, install the Matrix Console (is this needed?), then boot to BIOS and enable AHCI mode. Would this let me switch back and forth in the event I want a RAID setup?

Also, I switched to IDE mode and when in Windows it asked for the drivers. Where are the IDE drivers located? Are they the one/s in the Intel INF All folder? If I install them will it mess up the RAID/AHCI setup?

2. innerpeace

(502) Re: Please help with new graphics card

"Mountain stuff" LOL. It ain't moonshine :p.

I did get to try hot-swapping today when in AHCI mode and I saw the little tray icon installing the device. I was able to access the external drive with no problem.

Glad to hear it works for you! This has been quite an ordeal. I may make another nilted cd with a couple of adjustments and see how it goes tomorrow.

Cheers

3. Hairy Coo

Hairy Coo Registered Member

(503) Re: Please help with new graphics card

innerpeace

Can I suggest you try the next CD with those uneccessary components under nLite removed, as we discussed before.
    As you have a backup-take a new one prior to the new install-you cant lose!

Yes ,great the driver issue is just about resolved for you-it is a time consuming frustrating business.

4. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

(504) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Thanks for the help.
    I hope to see if it flies or crashes tomorrow.
    Enjoy the day.
    Hugger

5. Hairy Coo

(505) Re: Please help with new graphics card

pleasure-when you are ready have a look at this :cool:

hardforum

6. innerpeace

(506) Re: Please help with new graphics card

I did remove some things and followed your great detailed instructions the best I could. The total size ended up being 441MB. I also noticed the boot time was quicker despite not have a ton of security apps.

* I have another question about the Matrix drivers. In markymoo's step #6, this is what it says.
    Now, if you look in the link you provided, read the end of step #1.
    Should we be using the "Drivers64" folder contents instead of the "Drivers" (32bit) contents? If I'm understanding it correctly, it's processor based and not OS based.

7. Hairy Coo

(507) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Innerpeace,

When you are in the mood,you could still reduce by about another 100mb.

My CPU and I'm sure yours, can run either 32 or 64bit.

So install either set of drivers, depending on the software and OS.

Running software in 64-bit mode is not necessarily going to net you a performance increase if the software itself does not take advantage of the benefits of 64-bit operations.

Probably it wouldnt matter which setting you used,but in XP 32 bit, generally you wouldnt see any performance advantage.

Try it out and tell us:D You might well have some software which could benefit-some games etc

Last edited: May 28, 2008
  8. innerpeace

(50:cool: Re: Please help with new graphics card

I may as well cut out the worthless junk. In my last ISO, I removed the languages, keyboards, messenger, OOBE and the search (dog) helper. I didn't mess with a driver extraction app. because like I said before, I probably have a lot of drivers I don't want in the new install. You mentioned Sony and Toshiba before. What do you find as the most worthless stuff that can be removed without harm being done?

Re: 32 and 64 Matrix drivers.
    I really wasn't hoping for a performance gain. I understand what your saying though. My processor is 64 bit and XP home is 32 bit. I have no idea if a 64 bit ready application can take advantage of a 64 bit processor when running on a 32 bit OS. We probably are using the correct one. I just wanted to be sure.

9. Hairy Coo

(509) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Would like to help on this one,but there were so many I just have forgotten the specifics.
    Mainly MS relating to irrelevant usage,MS Moviemaker,Xerox,Frontpage,Net Meeting,MS Games
    You will find nLite gives a good description and warning about each item as you work your way through each possibility.
    I reduced down to about 330mb-working well.

My understanding is that if you install the 64 bit drivers-there could be some advantage with compatible software,as I said,even if the OS is 32 bit.

10. innerpeace

(510) Re: Please help with new graphics card

No problem, I thought you might have a list. The one's you posted seem like good ones to get rid of.

:thumb:

11. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

(511) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Hairy,
    Thanks.
    I'll give it a shot after my BP goes back down to acceptable levels.
    Hugger

12. innerpeace

(512) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Hugger,

I can relate. I was screaming at my computer tonight and I'm sure my BP was getting critical. Just keep working at it and eventually you'll figure it out.

Hairy Coo and markymoo,

1. Is it normal to not be able to switch back to AHCI or RAID mode after installing in the opposite mode?

2. When I plug the ext. HDD in, is it normal to see the hardware tray icon installing the device? markymoo said it should be instant.

3. Do I need to install the Matrix Storage Console?

Thanks

13. markymoo

markymoo Registered Member

(513) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Wow 4 years no wonder you reclaimed so much space. I would use Total Uninstall to remove programs fully from the Windows folder if you not going to wipe Windows often.

Ignore the X64 drivers. It for X64 Windows. Do not include on 32 they will ignored. Just grab the 32bit.

If you installed in AHCI this 2nd time why didn't you just try leaving on AHCI just to see if it work only then change to RAID if no go. You can't of included the RAID drivers as well if it didn't work. It shouldn't be such an ordeal if the drivers are there.

Send me the link to your m/b. I have a look.

Top knotch, Purring away, Loving the speed. More than enough.justneedanewkeyboard.

Does that mean he's will end up with images that won't restore?/sarcasm

Yes on the early betas from 2004 fixing bugs. He started it May12th 2004 thats exactly 4 years thereabouts. Nuhi, top friendly guy. The amount of new updates he churned out was phenomenal and considering how much a job it was removing Windows install files. Recently i noticed he removed all the credits who helped him in the early days. He making it more professional look.

My bags are packed. Those Canadian lakes look so beautiful. Don't run when a bear chases you, who could?

Hugger Hi, you can plug any hard drives into any of the same coloured slots of your existing drive. It dont matter of the order too much. If you plug into slot 5 and not 2 it still work ok. Those are Intel connectors the others are JMicron. If you don't ever use Jmicron for whatever reasons like external then don't install the driver from the m/b cd as jmicron driver is known for slow down with cd-rom and other problems.

Innerpeace
    1. Is it normal to not be able to switch back to AHCI or RAID mode after installing in the opposite mode?
    You not meant to switch back and forth between the modes like a yoyo.When you install the drivers they be in Windows dir and should install them ,but take time to install again if you keep switching on a whim. If you included both 32bit drivers on the CD it will work fine.
    2. When I plug the ext. HDD in, is it normal to see the hardware tray icon installing the device? markymoo said it should be instant.
    the external is a removable drive so isnt acting as AHCI. it wont install as fast.
    3. Do I need to install the Matrix Storage Console?
    for RAID YES for AHCI can do but not essential gives extra info.

Last edited: May 29, 2008
  14. innerpeace

(514) Re: Please help with new graphics card

:thumb:
    I clicked iastor (not iaahci) and selected these. I've tried installing in RAID mode and it won't let me switch to AHCI and I've tried installing in AHCI mode and it won't let me switch to RAID. o_O

I was experimenting switching to the opposite because I thought that if I needed a RAID setup later I could switch. I would rather find out now before I spend 4 hours installing my software, adding tweaks and imaging. I do know that I can't switch period so either something is wrong or it's not possible. If switching from AHCI mode to RAID isn't possible, then please say so. I'm ready to give up and install in AHCI mode and call it a day.

Thanks! :thumb: :thumb:

15. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

(515) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Despite my near record level of high blood pressure last night I'm still alive.
    New build went well until I tried to start the pc.
    And watched it turn off approximately 1 second later.
    Doesn't even stay on long enough for a beep code.
    Appears to be a short or a faulty switch in the case.
    I'll play with it later.
    Right now I'm going to just enjoy the day.
    Regards.
    Hugger

16. markymoo

(516) Re: Please help with new graphics card

innerpeace

Hello, just to confirm, did you plug your new hard drive into any 1 of the 4 connectors? there is a 5th slightly off from the 4 cluster this is not ICH9. When you enable AHCI or RAID in BIOS you have to save BIOS and reboot before it takes effect. Under RAID mode set to AHCI and after reboot do you see your hard drive listed under AHCI devices port 0-5 ? What Intel driver version did they supply you with on the m/b CD?

http://gomeler.com/pic/Articles/Review MSI P35 Neo2-FR/Small Images/IMG_0407.jpg

Forget the RAID,for more than 1 drive. If you set as AHCI and got the AHCI drivers on the XP CD then it should install fine. If it doesn't boot up, Wipe it set as IDE and install XP and we try another way:thumb:.

You could try putting it together outside the case. A power switch stuck in can do that or other short from under the board. A screwdriver on the 2 power pins is a useful way to start it to eliminate the switch.

17. markymoo

(517) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Innerpeace

The other way is the way you did before. If unsucessful do this.

set as IDE in BIOS. install original OEM XP with no added drivers,boot into XP. do step 5 and 6 from slipstream method and just copy iastor.sys from 32 folder into C:\Windows\System32\Drivers\

save the Intel Matrix setup file you need to install it at end.

goto explorer options under tools and untick 'Hide extensions for known file types'

copy below into notepad and save it as ahci.reg and run it.
    reboot PC then go into BIOS and enable AHCI, save and reboot into XP, Hardware wizard will pop up, cancel it all and install the Intel Matrix Raid driver(make sure it same version you copied the iastor.sys from earlier) and then Reboot when it asks.

goto Device Manager and you should see AHCI.

If you done everything 100% correctly and still not seeing AHCI then it's an issue with the board and i forget about it until you get more drives to use RAID.

18. Hairy Coo

(51:cool: Re: Please help with new graphics card

Innerpeace

Did you let nLite install the "All" Intel Matrix folder,rather than picking out the individual drivers,as previously discussed ?

You shouldnt then have to do any further steps,like reg. entries.

As I said,Windows will then install ONLY the correct RAID/AHCI drivers and ALSO the StorageManager/Console and you shouldnt then be having problems.

Yes you do need the Console,which is part of Manager.

If you enter the RAID mode in BIOS,you will next get a window asking you to press Ctrl and i keys ,then carry out the above steps.

If you dont have the Manager/Console,then you couldnt proceed!!

All this is assuming you still have the correct drivers installed.

As per the PhotoBucket snap,everything was OK then.

If still OK,just installing the Storage Manager should enable you to create RAID volumes.

You cant switch between AHCI and RAID without creating a RAID volume as above-what you would have got is the famous BSOD,so what you are experiencing at the moment is normal.as (1) you didnt have the Console and (2) you didnt go through the procedure.

If you are still having driver probs,suggest you nLite reinstall using the ALL folder.

Of course if you cant be bothered,you could wait until you decide to actually run RAID,as apart from Hot Swapping,there isnt any real improvement under AHCI which I can pick.

edit;THIS procedure can be used rather than the nLite reinstall.(Courtesy markymoo).

Also dont forget to deactivate all IDE enabling options under BIOS,(I have 3),otherwise the IDE drivers will reload as well as the others-and of course vice/versa when reverting to IDE.

19. Hairy Coo

(519) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Hugger,

All part of the rich tapestry of life :'(

The usual reason is that the ATX 12v connector wasnt plugged in as per page 23, although when this happens the fans etc may run ,but not the CPU

Also did you connect the Front Panel connectors properly-page 28.
    I found a magnifying glass and a pair of tweezers were necessary.
    All the minus symbols should be connected to white cables,other colours are positive.

Try reseating the RAM or putting in a different combination of slots.

Possibly clearing the BIOS with the steel ruler may help.

The CPU was properly installed no doubt and your PSU is powerful enough?

Otherwise probably something simple,recheck every step and connection-happens to me every build :mad:

Disconnect one thing, and try it again; disconnect another, and try it again; and so on. When you get down to just the case,throw the lot away!!

20. markymoo

(520) Re: Please help with new graphics card

The post before yours is a updated method of that. using -a to unpack the drivers doesn't work anymore, getting it by running the Matrix install and copying it from the temp folder is alternative way.

21. Hairy Coo

(521) Re: Please help with new graphics card

markymoo.

Quite right-as innerpeace already has the drivers available in any case.

Thanks for your offer of help re the overclock not locking in-will once again try a full CMOS clear by taking out the battery,which worked last time-will get back to you.

re the new keyboard have a Logitech USB/firewire-great except it need replacement batteries once a week,rechargeable of course.

Is your o/clock still at 3.87 ghz?

Ps those canuck lakes are great except for those biting midges,worse than mosquitoes:doubt:

22. markymoo

(522) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Yes good to save them in a folder on another partition for the future.
    i gone off wireless keyboards. i don't find them as responsive and i find i make more typos. when they go faulty they tend to eat batteries. on a security standpoint they not safe. i like wireless mouse though. wow once a week. even on rechargeables i thought you get more than that.

Yes, despite the warmer weather and a rise of approx 12C it still holds tight.

On AHCI i quoted this.

23. Hairy Coo

(523) Re: Please help with new graphics card

marky,

Yes I do remember this and in view of your remarks and my experience,dont think its worth the bother if any peculiar problems exist.

Agree-always striking a wrong key and getting Google or something.

It would be well and truly stable by now!!

Only tried it years ago when it was slow-do you prefer it to say, Cleanse or Revo>

24. innerpeace

(524) Re: Please help with new graphics card

Hi, yes the internal HDD and cd/dvd drive are plugged in the upper SATA connectors. I'm not sure where you want me to look for the AHCI devices port 0-5. Is it the one in the BIOS? I'm using the Intel INF Chipset and Matrix drivers I downloaded from the Intel site and not the older one's on my MB cd.

I tried my nLited XP disk again today in AHCI mode only and this is what I'm showing in the device manager.
    http://img81.imageshack.us/img81/829/devicemanagerahcimodeoh0.jpg

Is this correct? I was able to plug in my ext. HDD in the eSATA port and it was working. Since I'm staying with AHCI, I don't need to install the Matrix Console software unless I switch to RAID right? Also, the SCSI and RAID controllers don't show up because I installed in AHCI mode correct?

If the install isn't correct, I will try the other way that you posted. Thanks for your effort :).

25. markymoo

(525) Re: Please help with new graphics card

@Hairy
    It sounds that you had problems installing AHCI on your older existing installation. My experience of AHCI on new XP install has been smooth without the necessity to setup RAID or install the console.

I not tried Cleanse or Revo. Do they have the feature of being able to monitor the install or just scan after installed. I notice if i didn't monitor files in other locations particular the Windows folder they don't get uninstalled by Uninstallers scanning after. This will be the case for all software as install files install some things silently. Protection schemes being a prime example and so the windows folder builds up especially over 4 years :rolleyes:.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.