Please help: No internet connection

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by 2thfixer, May 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2thfixer

2thfixer Registered Member

Hello,

I was using NOD32 and it worked fine. It was time to purchase new license and I decided to upgrade to Smart Security. I un-installed NOD32, re-started the computer and installed Smart Security Version 4.2.71.2. After I installed it, I can no longer get on the Internet. It says it's connected to the network but can not get online when I open a browser. My OS is Windows XP running on AMD Turion 64. It's an older HP Laptop.

Please help. So frustrated. I attempted to uninstall it but it stopped in the middle of it. I had to re-install it again. Still no Internet.

Thanks.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Do you use default settings, ie. automatic mode for firewall? If you enable logging of blocked connections in the IDS section of the firewall setup and reproduce the problem, what records are logged to the firewall log? Could you copy & paste some of them here?

3. 2thfixer

Thanks for the prompt response. It was Automatic mode when I first installed. I read some articles on the website and tried to make changes. One of which is changing it to Automatic mode with exceptions. I tried a few of them but none worked. I was never able to get online when Smart Security was installed. I un-installed it (although it didn't completely uninstall it, it was stuck in the middle), I got the Internet back as the program was no longer started up at start up. I attempted to re-install it again and lost connection again. I'm thinking about going back to NOD32 but I don't know if that will make the problem worse. What should I do?
    Thanks.

4. dwomack

dwomack Eset Staff Account

I'd recommend following the requests Marcos made first:

And also try all of the linked options in the KB Article below:

http://kb.eset.com/esetkb/index?page=content&id=SOLN2217

5. 2thfixer

For whatever reason I don't know, after I enabled that, I got Internet connection. It doesn't make sense but I'm happy and hope it stays this way. BTW, how do I retrieve the records?

Thanks.

Last edited: May 19, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.