Please help me recover my files :(

Discussion in 'Paragon Partition Manager Product Line' started by allexif, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allexif

allexif Registered Member

Hello!

I really need your help. I have a 500GB HDD with 2 partitions created. One of 60GB with windows 7 on it and the other with "my life" on it. I tried to create a new partition using Paragon Partition Manager 11 inside the 60GB partition with windows. It asked me for a restart then Paragon started to do somenthing. Whent it was at the "moving partition" step I interrupted it. After a restart the CHKDSK started and displaying something with "index" word and after that something like "Recovering orphan files" and after that "Replacing invalit security id with default security id" and now I can't access almost none of my files, the files are corrupted or something. I tried accesing the files from Ubuntu because I thought it was Windows 7's fault but the same thing, files corrupted.

Please teach me how to recover my files because it's my life there! :(

2. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Having Windows do a Chkdsk and then changing the Security ID does not sound good as far as recovering your files. For something like what you were doing, you should always make a backup but hindsight is 20-20.

That said, do not do any writing to that hard drive. If possible remove it and place it in another computer or use a USB adapter like this.

Try Minitools Power Data recovery to see if it can recover any of your files. You get 1GB free to see if the files are valid and the program works for you.

You can also try the open source software PhotoRec.

PhotoRec Step By Step

Good Luck.

Edit: Do Not save the files back to the hard drive you are trying to recover the files from. Save them to another source such as another internal drive or external USB drive.

3. allexif

Thank you very much! I connected the HDD to my desktop with normal sata connectors and is working. Now I'm trying to recover files with ASEUS Data Recovery Wizzard Professional! It is good as PhotoRec? It is good at all? I heard is taking a lot of time but does the job. I'm not going to write anything on this drive untill I recover as much as I can from it on another external HardDrive.

Thank you very much I really appreciate your help. I will check this post if you have further instructions for me or advices!

4. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Easeus Recovery Wizard is also very good. If you do not get results with that, I would try the Minitools Power Data Recovery and PhotoRec. One may be able to recover files that the other cannot.

5. allexif

I succedeed. I quick-formated the partition with the corrupted files and I recovered almost all my files, about 98% of them with EASEUS Data Recovery Wizzard Proffesional.I think it is a GREAT program, definetely does it's job, recomend it after my experience. Thank you again for your help :)

6. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Nice Job! I have heard of deleting partitions in order to recover but I have not heard of doing a quick format in order to get data back. I will have to keep that in mind. Where did you hear about doing a quick format before data recovery?

Just a reminder, I would do regular backups. Windows 7 has it's own system backup which is very good. I have used it a number of times without fail.

Creating a System Recovery Disk
    This will create a bootable disk that you can use should your drive be unbootable, otherwise you can also go into safe mode and select System Repair

Creating up a System Image

Restoring a System Image

Mounting a System Image

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  7. allexif

I readed about this method and it really worked. Almost all of my files were corrupted, couldn't open or something like this, but after quick-formatting the partition and recovered it with EASEUS it worked like a charm.

Here is the link where I readed about this method:

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-file-management/202577-persistent-mft-bitmap-corruption-chkdsk.html

Edit1: Thank your for your advices. I must tell you that I'm not a novice in using a PC, for backup I use a dedicated software, similar to Paragon, but I didn't have an external HDD to backup all my 390GB, I never thought that this can happen to me, to lose 390GB of data. But now I am going to buy an external HDD and backup everything.

Thank you again for your interest in helping me :)

Cheers! :)

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  8. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

You might also keep in mind that having a 2nd drive to back-up to does not protect you in the event of a fire, theft, or some other possible loss of both the drives and the PC. Its a good idea IMO if its your life we are talking about, that you keep a copy off site. Better safe than sorry.

And of course it can (and will) happen to you,,,,its called life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.