Please Help Cloning Partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by danger69, Feb 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danger69

danger69 Registered Member

Let me simply my problem.....Oh and I am using Acronis TI ES.

Old 80gb HD (C: & OS)

New HD 120gb *split into 2 partitions*(C: & D:) formatted

I want to copy over all my stuff from my old HD including OS to be used on the new HD. I tried creating an image but it won't work. And forget about cloning the HD since it won't do it unless I make my new HD into one big HD. Please help. My old hd is going to go up in smoke soon.

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, danger69

Welcome to Wilders and Acronis Forums.

Can you say what the ES Please?
    Do you know why it will not work?
    Could you explain what you mean please?

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

3. danger69

Oops sorry ES is short for Enterprise Server. I do not know why it won't work. I thought I could clone it but TI won't let me because it does not copy partitions on whole drives. I tried creating an image and restoring it within windows but it doesn't work. Should I create a boot disc instead and try that? If so where should I keep the image? Should I keep the image on the new hard drive?

4. TheQuest

Hi, danger69

Thanks.

No it does not copy Partitions, Just one HDD to Another.

The BootDiskCD is what I prefer, less [or, no] chance of conflict.

It can not be on a Partition that is to be Imaged, as it would be trying to overwrite itself on a restore. [if you understand what I mean]

Take Care,

PS: You could put it anywhere on you HDD, then burn to DVD to do the restore.

5. danger69

Okay I got it to work. I guess using the boot cd makes it easier. But now I have a slow down on my new HD. Its not terrible but it didn't do it before. I disk cleaned, defrag, etc. But still it does it. Also when I start the computer and my bios takes about 15 seconds or so to recognize it. And when it goes to the screen where it tells you the info about your computer it now has "booting from ide 0". This never came up before. Should I use fixmbr? Everything works except for a few of those glitches if you can say that.

6. TheQuest

Hi, danger69

You can try it, but please do not use Fdisk to try and fix it use your Install CD.

Boot from your OS CD>When you get to the insall screen choose>Rapair Installion useing the Recovery Console, Press R.

Press R>
    Then Type 1 [ONE]>
    Then Enter your Password the one that you installed with. [Administer]

Then at Windows> _
    [Dos Prompt] Type>
    FIXMBR>[You will get a warning current MBR is non-standard or something like that, Ignore it]then when it ask if you are sure>Type Y.>
    Press Enter.
    Type Exit and REBOOT.

Take Care,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.