PLEASE help! after cleaning the registry explorer.exe jumped up

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cet, Oct 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cet

cet Registered Member

I installed some antispyware programs in order to scan my PC.Counterspy,micro etc.They could not find anything.At that time (before installing them) explorer.exe was at 24 000 .But after removing them and cleaning the registry with regsupreme and tune up utilities explorer.exe jumped up to 51 000.
    I cleaned the registry three times this week after trying and uninstalling programs.
    BEFORE:explorer.exe 24 000
    after the first cleanup:32 000
    after the second cleanup:41 000
    last one:51 000
    What is this How can I get my explorer.exe back to normal.Please any help will be appreciated.

2. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Huh !?! :oops: What numbers are you referring to ??

3. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

Have you tried manually restarting explorer.exe (end process>new task)

4. cet

cet Registered Member

The numbers are from the task manager.Mem usage column.I used process explorer to restart explorer.exe.No luck it only reduces 5000 and then comes back to a high number.

5. BuzzStone

BuzzStone Registered Member

I have a similar problem. It's not just explorer.exe, it is every process that continually increases in memory usage. Explorer.exe is currently at 149.8 Mb, my A/V which uses two processes is currently at 98 Mb (it should be ~25Mb). If I do a reboot everything will go to normal and slowly increase for no apparent reason for as long as the computer stays on. It does not seem to affect anything, but I do not know why this continues to happen.

edit: Windows Task Manager shows explorer.exe at 33.8Mb, Process Explorer shows it at 157.7 Mb.
    Windows Task Manager shows A/V at 25 Mb, Process Explorer at 100 Mb.
    I also use Security Task Manager and it shows the same as Process Explorer (all three used to show the same).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  6. cet

cet Registered Member

Wow What a surprise.I changed my display options color quality from 32 bit to 16 bit and explorer.exe dropped to 24 000.Also I was not able to update .net framework 1.1.Because I had installed .net2 and 3.I manually installed it and at the next reboot explorer.exe opened at 19 000.At the most(after a long time usage) it is at 27 000.
    I imediately made a restore point.

7. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Open My Computer, minimize to tray.

Now have a look at explorer's mem usage.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.