please heelp me!!

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by dorin, May 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dorin

dorin Registered Member

hi guys,

suddenly my incremental backups are as big as the main backup.

the main one is divided in 2 pieces (1.8gb to be able to put it on a bootable dvd) and i had before incremental backups of 50-75mb but now its exactlely the size of the main archive (3.2gb).

tried everything, selecting the first volume, 2nd one, i've read here about defrag, and even with a fresh restore, still the incremental is as big as main archive.

any ideas?

thanks alot,

dorin

2. TheWeaz

TheWeaz Registered Member

More info please.
    Where are your backups stored? Have you verified that, when creating an INC, you are using the right name to call the file? Please list the file names.
    Defragging can cause a large INC to be created. Did you?
    Enough for now.

3. dorin

dorin Registered Member

ok,

i made only once an incremental backup (although using acronis for a year now) and i loved the idea.

situation, shortly:

the main archive is stored in d:\kits\restore\restore1.tib
    restore2.tib

as i said i put it to make an automatic split when 1.7gb in order to be able to create a bootable dvd.
    when i make either an incremental either differential, i tried by pointing as starting point both archive files (though its same thing)

no defrag occured since i made last backup (today in the morning, full new backup and 30 min later here i was having another (but this time incremental) 3.2gb restore3.tib file!

i mean i tried everything, but this is really frustrating and dont want to go back to ghost (i like its speed in recovery) i like some features of acronis, but the fact that none of incremental or dferential backing works pissses me off.

and another thing: when checking the new incr/diff tib file it doesnt say anything like incremental or dif next to description how the other one did.

so...any ideas?!

4. TheWeaz

Where is the INC stored?

5. TheWeaz

Also, is D: a separate drive or a partition on the same drive and are you doing a partition or a disk image?

6. dorin

dorin Registered Member

a partition on the same drive, always've been there! i mean a backup of c partition was always stored on d partition.

any ideas?

7. TheWeaz

Again, what are all the file names and locations? You've told us nothing about the INC image.
    Are you sure you are only selecting partition C to image and not checking the entire disk?

8. dorin

dorin Registered Member

hi there once again,

i;m using acronis for one year almost (9.1.3567 current version) and i;ve used ghost for about 3 years so i do know how to make an image.

i do selecet only c drive, with destination on d drive, in the folder where the full backup is, i do select the main backup, done in same day, with no defrag between, the main backup is named "restore" and it is devided in 2 pieces, first of 1.8 and second one as 1.4 gb (so restore1.tib and restore2.tib), then i chose incremental backup, with same compresion settings as the main one was done, but as a result i get restore1.tib(1.8gb), restore2.tib(1.4gb), restore3.tib(1.8gb), restore4.tib(1.5 gb).

so restore4 has the new changes in it but instead of only adding another tib file with 100mb includes the entire contnent of the full backup.

so, does anybody have any idea?!

i hope i described the problem detailed enough this time!

thanks alot in advance,

dorin

9. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello dorin,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We are very sorry for the delay with the response.

If you did not defragment your hard drive prior to creating an incremental image then the most probable reason for the problem you encounter is that there are some file system errors on the disk\partition that you backup (see this previous thread for details).

Whatever the actual reason is, firstly, please make sure that you use the latest build (3567) of Acronis True Image 9.0 Home which is available at: http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/

You can find the full version name and build number by going to Help -> About... menu in the main program window.

To get access to updates you should create an account at:
    http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/my/
    then log in and use your serial number to register your software.

Please uninstall any previously installed build by following Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add or Remove Programs -> Acronis True Image, prior to installing build 3567.

Note that you should create new Bootable Rescue CD after installing the update.

Please also check each partition of your hard drive by Windows utility:

- For Windows 9x please use Windows menu Start\Run then enter the command "scandskw" and test all drives;

- For Windows XP please use Windows menu Start\Run, then enter the command "chkdsk c: /r" "chkdsk d: /r" for every partition of your hard drive.

Note that you will need to reboot your computer in order to scan the system partition.

Then please create new full and at least one subsequent incremental image. See if the problem still persists.

If the problem still persists after checking the hard drive and installing the update then please download the latest version of Acronis drivers, install it with disabled logging, create new full and at least one subsequent incremental image and see the result.

If that does not help either then please create Acronis Report and Windows System Information as it is described in Acronis Help Post. Then submit a request for technical support containing the files collected along with the step-by-step description of the actions taken before the problem appears and the link to this thread. We will investigate the problem and try to provide you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexey Popov

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.