Please advise - I have Vista UAC, Avira. What else do I need?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Defcon, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I Have UAC off with GeSwall on = way safer then UAC period.Browser and email isolated set to confidential.What does UAC really do other then confirm to run something elevated user confirms.UAC does not prevent Damage from infections Geswall Does.

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

exactly

3. Makav3l1

Makav3l1 Registered Member

Try using Comodo for good firewall and hips protection and also Sandboxie for safe surfing. Make your browser the only application that can connect to the internet by checking the option in your default box and you will be set. I have tried pretty much every major free security software and I have found my sig setup, which is much like yours could be, to offer the best protection without any noticeable slowdown or overly paranoid detection.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

GeSWall or DefenseWall covers more than using uac

5. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Indeed it does.:thumb:

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ofcourse a policie base sandbox or pure sandbox with a good solid firewall like
    Makav3 mention

7. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

No chance at all that I misunderstood you. Your question was "What about all the people using Threatfire alone?" No mention of an Av. And you will never be 100% bullet proof. You can come close though I suppose.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  8. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

You are misunderstanding the article. Of the PC's which had TF on board, TF found that 27% of them had malware on it. This meant that TF discovered it.

As long as 'being compromised' is not defined or whether Vista was used as intended (with LUA/FW), those blurbs really are useless non-information.

In regard of your statement that TF is not 100% bullet proof, I ask you what is 100% bullet proof? I know of a 100% bulletproof security mechanisme. It is my POWER SUPPLY, when it is OFF I have a ZERO percent chance of getting infected. I have a Power Supply on every PC, so I feel very secure.

Regards Kees

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  9. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

I turned UAC off and added Prevx and Defensewall in addtion to an AV and Firewall.

A-Squared could / may be a good option. Personally I have never liked TF.

I would have liked to swap UAC for classic HIP: SSM or PS but am currently no confident that they will be around.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

there is not 100% bullet proof apps and for sure threatfire is not even getting to 50%:D dont get upset threatfire sucks,now when it was cyberhawk it was
    a different story.

11. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

when novatix sold their servicesto pctools all changes
    cyberhwak was ligth,fast,popular and now all i see its complains for system slowdowns.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.