Playing with Cyber Hawk

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by aigle, Oct 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I just ried keylogger test from sysssafety. CH blocked all 4 methods of keylogging.( OT- GW blocked all 4 as well).

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I agree with you aigle, and I'm sure WP Free would not have detected the Keylogger test. I did mention though, that WP asked if I wanted to allow the two dll's that I imagine were needed for the Starware ToolBar to install, and CH didn't pop up an alert. This simply just made me wonder if CH should have also detected them. It must detect some IE changes though, because remember it alerted me to something being triggered by IE after the Explorer Bar was installed and i was fooling around in IE, and once before when I originally found it through an AVG Anti-Spyware scan and Quarantined it. I'm just curious about the whole thing, that's all.

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: hi, aigle, you are absolutely correct about the comparision. I really can not compare apples w/ oranges. Indeed there is a need for BOTH to stay together. I would assume that one is local sheriff's break-in squad, while the other is FBI's major crime division. Upto this day, I still feel very uneasy about Novatix's policy regarding this: No participation of community, no sharing of privileged info. Since CH is a behaviorial blocker, not a signature based, why would they require users's info input(or should say users's voluntary participation), for info profiling or habit analysis ? Think about this: If, only if, KAV or NOD32 would ever ask your participation of this sort, what would be your prompt reaction and subsequent action? IMO, folks at Navatix do owe us a fair explanation. :-*

Last edited: Nov 3, 2006
  4. Cyberhawk Support

Cyberhawk Support Registered Member

5. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: To whom this may concern( just because no name has been inserted in your reply!). I read before and just read again. What you are doing upto now does remind me of my home 's security firm; they want to know every move I have made to trigger that false alarm, I mean every move.Just to strengen your signature base. forgive me, in your polished privacy policy, you never mention a word about "behavior". We, on this forum are lead to believe CH is a behaviorial blocker, and nothing else. You know better well than I do, trust is the core essence of doing good business. Best regards,

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

National Guard? More like a troop of Cub Scouts, perhaps.:)

WP might spot an exploit developed by a script kiddie, but its process-watcher is rather easily fooled for it lacks hashes (AFAIK) etc. Still, I agree that WP is a whole bunch better than nothing.

By the way, whereas WP's free version mainly uses polling, its Plus Version does not. It uses hooks (of a sorts) that aren't equivalent to a kernel hook but still enable WP Plus to respond MUCH faster than a polling app.

7. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: hi, bellgamin; thanks for the clarification. We do agree on one front; WP plus does have its true value to be around.:-*

8. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

CH is not designed for that!? So it's designed for what!?

I believe that new services could not be detected (that it's very bad), but it should detect the rest for sure!

9. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

WinPatrol Plus doesn't use polling!?

Since that version!?

10. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I don,t think it should detect all new services.

11. duke1959

Hey everybody. I first want to say that I really believe Cyberhawk to be a fine and improving software, and will keep using it. I also understand the comparison between it and Arovax Shield or Winpatrol is apples and oranges. Remember also that I am using AVG Internet Security Suite 7.5 which only found the ToolBar in a scan and not in RealTime, but maybe like some are saying about Cyberhawk, it isn't suppose too. The thing is that, CH did pop up an alert at various times about IE triggering something (I can't check what it was, as I'm not on my PC right now) when I was either Quarantining the Starware Adware, or opening up IE and clicking on the ToolBar for a search or something. If it did then, then why didn't it when I tried to install it? Am I making sense here? It alerted me a total of 5 times about IE triggering something, after it had already been installed, but nothing before. Apparently it has some kind of capabilities for Browser changes right? I have now asked at least twice about this, and I haven't seen a response from CH Support yet, with at least some questions for me to help them with something that I believe should be detected by CH. Time will tell I suppose.

12. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U should post on their site, at support tickets.

13. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

I am also somewhat concerned about exactly what data Novatix is gathering and when ... o_O
    Cyberhawk 'Security Status' permanently shows us worldwide counters for 'Events' and 'Programs' examined ...
    On the other hand, why on earth is update checking disabled if we choose not to participate in that mysterious 'Secure Community Protection?? :mad:

I remember I read on another topic someone complaining about CH slowing the system to a crawl.
    Well, I have found one nasty interaction: when PDEngine service (Raxco's Perfect Disk Engine) is running, CH jumps to 15-25% CPU usage with peaks up to 70% every minute or so.

Has anybody else noticed this as well?

Another unpleasant issue with CH is that there is no way to stop/disable its service, only by uninstalling the whole product!!! :eek:
    There should really be an option to do it!
    Now, if I want to run Perfect Disk without hassle I will have to uninstall Cyberhawk first?? :rolleyes:

14. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

have you tried right click on Cyberhawk icon > suspend .

15. Roger_

Roger_ Registered Member

Yep, it does not stop the service... and it keeps interacting with PDEngine.

16. duke1959

Just want to say that, CH Support has contacted me and their resident Malware Expert is going to get back to me about the Browser change detection.

17. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Here is the site that explains about the changes which invoked real-time monitoring in the WP Plus version...
    http://www.winpatrol.com/whyplus.html?index

WP's new real-time monitor has the acronym "R.I.D." for "Real-time Infiltration Detection."

Below is a PARTIAL quote from that page. For more details, I suggest you visit their site...
    Below is a screenshot of one of WP's configuration panels. Notice that it enables you to use polling if you wish (upper part of the panel) and to specify the interval between polls. OR it optionally allows you to select real-time polling, if desired (lower part of the panel). Each of WP's module's has a similar conguration option.

Attached Files:

18. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

bellgamin,

if WinPatrol PLUS doesn't have polling, why it not immediately alert you about a new item?

You can also have a another reference by just have the startup items feature enabled and check the CPU usage of WP.

You should also read the Topic that I started, on WP forum, about that and see what Bill said...

19. Devil's Advocate

Devil's Advocate Registered Member

VC, can you post the link to the discussion? thanks

20. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

about WinPatrol CPU usage

I don't remember if I already tested the v10, but I'm not interested in it...

21. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I also think it should be optional. Anyway if some one is concerned, he can stop the updates and new versions can be downloaded and installed manually. I think there are no rules updates so far. Am I right?
    This is another point to notice. BTW did u report this to them?

22. duke1959

Cyberhawk and Winpatrol Free has been running fine together along with AVG Internet Suite. I'm not not sure I would need much else for protection. Maybe System Safety Monitor Free to protect them all, but I'm not sure that would necessarily be needed if CH would alert me to anything that would try to shut them down. Hey, does anyone know how to reset the Suspicious Activities Detection and Malware Blocked count? Maybe if I clear my Protection Log and reboot it will do it?

23. aigle

aigle Registered Member

This feature is absent in free version but u can get this thing by PG free.

24. duke1959

Thanks aigle, I wasn't aware of that. I wonder then, if I would need Process Guard Free with Cyberhawk for my safe surfing habits and with the other protection I have? Also, I wonder how CH would run with PG Free.

25. aigle

aigle Registered Member

That,s a personal choice whether u choose SSM or PG. Also u have to find if both go along welll or not? May be someone using both can tell u.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.