Piriform makers of ccleaner announce cloud based cleaner

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by clubhouse, Aug 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

Clean all your PCs
    From the people who brought you CCleaner,
    here's a new way to clean from the cloud.

Clean locally or remotely

Defrag your drives

Fix problems in the Windows Registry

https://agomo.com/

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

And who is going to protect my data in the cloud? NSA? PRSIM? No thank you.

3. guest

guest Guest

Why do I hate this part so much? :doubt:

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Nice one

Another clever method to scoop up user's intellectual property/privacy rights?

Not Happening.

Once bitten twice shy. :thumbd:

5. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Some odd comments here about cloud technology.
    Interesting that users are quite happy to allow data to go to their security providers servers and yet are questioning piriform.com.?

Maybe this will be a crowd sourced cleaner just like slimcleaner etc.

6. guest

guest Guest

No idea if you are also talking about me, but eh... :p

I was just worried about something/some people having access to your registry remotely. Remember how many people had troubles with traditional registry cleaners, yet there's one new "feature" which will "fix" your registry from the cloud. How do you tell if nobody is going to do anything malicious with that since on some occasions all you need to do to disable a security feature is just changing the registry value from 0 to 1 *cough-sehop-cough*.

This reminds me of the remote registry service. If I'm not mistaken its purpose is to allow your registry to be modified remotely. It's disabled by default in Win 7 and 8 (no idea about other OSes). I'm sure there's a good reason for that. ;)

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

@AMIGA500: You can expand that to even using Windows online, which the government has access to. What about browsers, etc., do those Agomo-haters sniff every single network traffic?
    Unless open-source or securely encrypted by your end, I don't see how anybody can justify what is trustworthy and not these days.

@GrafZeppelin: It depends on who the administrator is, surely someone you trust or yourself by choice.

8. guest

guest Guest

I wanted to ask this question some time ago, now that you reminded me about it, can remote access be used to cause havoc in your system, say... through your registry without the user realizing it? You know, like possible exploits or something?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  9. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

But you can limit your exposures.

10. DBone

DBone Registered Member

I was a beta tester for this.........No thanks.

11. J_L

J_L Registered Member

That would be difficult if you're using the system as well, especially with monitoring in place. You have the advantage due to physical access, if they try locking you out, just pull the plug (either Ethernet or power cable, WiFi switch and hard shutdown for laptops).

12. guest

guest Guest

""This reminds me of the remote registry service. If I'm not mistaken its purpose is to allow your registry to be modified remotely. It's disabled by default in Win 7 and 8 (no idea about other OSes). I'm sure there's a good reason for that""

That's why it's one of the first things I rip out of Windows, nothing like this is going to be on my system, disabling is not enough for me, rip it out by the

inappropriate image removed!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 18, 2013
  13. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'm hoping that folks considering using this service really think it through. I'm not at all saying Piriform is going to siphon up user data or turn into another open door to NSA activities (If anyone currently uses CCleaner on their system, they'd see there's no logical reason the NSA would want to use it for their spying.), but, cloud service reputation is taking a massive hit right now and could lose billions because of this very thing. Although the risk is quite low, I'm still not sure it's one worth taking.

The registry issue is something to look at, yes. All in all, I really see no place for this service. CCleaner is arguably an unnecessary program to begin with, and is an administrative job with certain features that could cause more problems than they solve. It's not something that needs to be cloud based and available to some other company to muck with far away from where the systems reside.

14. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

It's rare for me to praise and complement a company these days. But I'm afraid I'm on the brink of becoming a Piriform dis-liker for a number of reasons. One of the reasons is this ridiculous Agomo thing.

I found the introductory text to be amusing. They said, "So whether you're in a coffee shop, at a hotel, or getting some quality sofa time, you can keep up with your PC maintenance."

I say WTF? Do you think I'm going to be enjoying quality sofa time and be worrying about PC maintenance at the same time? No. I'm going to be doing one thing or the other.

If I'm out at the coffee shop I'm going to be socializing and doing something else, not worrying about defragging a hard disk. That can wait till the proper time.

If I'm in a hotel I'm usually there to bunk up and sleep, not sit around watching PC performance statistics.

Do I want to try it out? Probably not. I'm not interested in doing things remotely that should be done hands on. And with the SSD era coming up in a few years, all this defragging nonsense will finally go the wayside!

15. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Was it that bad? ..tell us!

16. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Is this Ago,o actually made and run by Piriform, or does Agomo just use Piriform products?

17. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

Looks to be an entirely new service by Piriform?? And you spellted ago,o wrong, it's Agomo!

One more thing, they started an introductory thread in their forums, but had to lock it when a few negative comments came rolling in.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  18. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I'll give this a miss just like CCleaner.

19. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

@roger_m, what's the dislike with CCleaner? Do you use an alternative or avoid any sort of cleaner utility entirely?

20. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I don't see anything on their website that mentions piriform. If this is from the developers of Ccleaner, and other piriform products then why not add it to their current website? Also why does their security certificate not say who it was issued to? Look in the the screen shot of calomel SSL Validation. It does not say who the certificate was issued to. Is this a bug with Calomel or is something wrong with their certificate? Maybe this website is associated with their investors instead of the developers themselves. That is if piriform had investors.

Attached Files:

21. Keatah

Keatah Registered Member

At the bottom of the screen it says 2013 piriform all rights reserved. But of course, that says nothing about the certificate..

22. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I don't dislike CCleaner, it's more a case of having no use for it. I use Baidu's PC Faster to do an occasional cleanup of temporary files which is really all I need. I have no use for the extra cleaning functions CCleaner provides as 99% of the time I only ever want to cleanup temporary files and not cleanup usage records - as I find them useful.

23. clubhouse

clubhouse Registered Member

Piriform announcement

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That settles it more then enough for me. As well as confirms a valid suspicion. And so what if cloud services suffer. Let them contend with the illegal snoopers who are the real culprits who are cutting off their revenue by those practices but don't expect releasing data vacuum features like this so soon after global privacy breaches to be welcome with open access.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2013
  25. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

Their webpage reminds me of those TV ads for cleaners and speedup services, like My Clean PC or Finally Fast. Assuming I can ignore the apparent similarity to some of that scamware and can put aside my distrust of cloud services, I still don't see any real advantage to making this a cloud service. Why would one need to defrag their hard drives or clean their registry remotely? Just how often does one need to add, remove or optimize software remotely? Any decently set up PC doesn't need repeated optimization. Most of the apps that matter can update themselves. The systems own task scheduler can handle cleaning and defragmenting duties. Even if I ignore all the potential problems and opportunities for abuse something like this creates, I still can't see any real advantage to making it cloud based. There's too many potential disadvantages. The last thing I'd want is something that can upload a list of what I remove from my PC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.