Ping request timeout bug

Discussion in 'Colasoft Free Network Tools' started by cd21966, Jul 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cd21966

cd21966 Registered Member

Similar to a previous thread, there is a definate bug with the ping tool or at least the DLLs it's using.
    On Vista and Windows 7 if the timeout is lower than 500ms there are random timeouts shown. The number of timeouts is related to the actual round trip delay, very few if the RTT is low (<5ms) rising as the RTT gets higher ( I get about 2% loss showing at 12ms RTT).
    I checked the output with Wireshark.
    Pings are sent and recieved for a while then at some point the PC will send an ICMP destination unreachable in response to an ICMP reply. So the ping gets a reply but the reply is ignored for some reason and an ICMP destination unreachable sent. I've checked the identification tag so can confirm the unreachable message is in response to the ICMP repy.
    I have tested the same behavior with another ping tool called pingtester and seen the same bug so it will be related to a common component between the two programs, maybe in Windows itself?.
    I don't see the bug using Windows 2003 Server.

Chris

2. Colasoft Support

Colasoft Support Colasoft Moderator

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for your time to tell us the bug. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.