Physically destroying a HD

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by majax01, Mar 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majax01

majax01 Registered Member

Thank you. This is exactly what I'm going to do. I found a little HD toolkit on Amazon. I could never figure out how to open a HD, sad but true. Hopefully I've got glass platters as they look quite easy to break.

Quick follow-up. Here's the internal 320GB HD model #:

WD3200AAKS-00B3A0

Is there anyway of finding the information online as to whether the platters are glass or metal.

2. I no more

I no more Registered Member

I've never seen a desktop hard drive (3.5") that was glass, so my money's on metal.

I've done this a few times. You just open the case. The screws are on the side of the hard drive with the label. The screws are called Torx, which are much less common than Phillips head or slot head.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

If the platters are metal, you should be able to scratch them very easily with a small screw driver, and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to thoroughly scratch both surfaces of a platter. Once the platters are bent with pliers, they should look like scrap metal. :thumb:

3. dantz

dantz Registered Member

A small pair of vise-grips can also be used to remove the case screws, and they will also come in handy on some of the internal mechanisms.

PS: Send me the magnets!

4. chiraldude

chiraldude Registered Member

I have found it near impossible to find the torx sizes used in newer hard drives.
    A standard set will have most but not the tiny ones. What really works well however are wire snips AKA "diagonal pliers". Grab the torx head with the pliers parallel to the the length of the screw. Usually you can get just enough grab to get the screw moving.
    Great for stripped Phillips screws as well. :cool:

If the platters are metal just put down a piece of sand paper and rub until you see a color change. The magnetic coating is only a few microns thick so should go very fast.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.