Photoshop opens, but image does not

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by HandsOff, Mar 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HandsOff

HandsOff Registered Member

I have a problem with photoshop 7.01 - I have assosiated image types with photoshop, but when I doubleclick on, for instance a jpg image file then photoshop does open, but it opens empty. Then I have to use the menu's and manually navigate to file, open...

it has no problem opening the file when you select it from within the application, and it opens the applecation when you double click an imagefile outside of the program, but it does not load the file. It becomes a two step process.

What am I doing wrong? I may reinstall it, but then i have to reinstal the upgrade, and several plugins. I don't like the idea of it not working right though, because it could conceivably cause problems with other programs that use it.

One more thing. When I look up a file type (like .jpg) in explorers folder file types it does list photoshop with the photoshop logo. In the windows explorer, however, .jpg files are not represented by the adobe icon, but rather by an icon i think is XP's built in viewer that looks like this:

Attached Files:

2. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

HI HandsOff...

I can help [maybe].

First, you say you associated JPG with PS. Was this during the install or later.

If during install, it may not have taken place properly as there are several JPG formats.

JFIF, JPG, JPEG and JPE, ALL of which are jpeg as we know it.

There are two options you can do.

1] The easiest way. If you have PS Icon on desktop, simply drag the JPG file onto the Icon and it will open up via PS.

2] Try changing file association via Windows Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/File Types and look for EACH instance of the various JPG names.

Click on the file, then 'Change' and browse to the PS7.0 .exe and ok. Do that for each. OK all way out and then see what happens.

Question: Why on earth would you want to actually "associate" JPG's with PS, simply because it takes a while for PS to open, especilly with loading of Plug-Ins, etc.

[Mine takes nearly a minute, BUT I do have over 70Mb of 'Styles' alone loaded, let alone Patterns, Custom Shapes, etc. :D ]

If you just want a quick 'view' leave it associated the Fax/Picture Viewer and if you really want it to open via PS, do the drag and drop onto the Icon.

See pic if you do not understand completely..

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

3. HandsOff

Tassie Devil, I have bestowest upon you a cookie for ending this nightmare for me! Not the solution i was seeking, but a great improvement none the less. I never thought of dragging a program into the icon. I vaugly knew you could do that but I am so entrenched in my ways it never occurred to me.

Why would i have like to have the association to Photoshop 7? Well, because my method is this: I go through my folders with windows explorer looking for a particular picture. I have them catagorized into subfolders and i look through the files as thumbnails. Then if i find one i want to work on I use Preview to scope it out. If its a new picture, its almost for sure I am going to play around with enhancing it. That's when I (used to) double click the icon and it opens in Photoshop.

Anyway, It only takes five or ten seconds to load my bloated photoshop 7 (currently 525 mb with all the extras) but of course I trimmed as much fat as I know how to out of XP. Its sort of a trade off, i guess.

I will no doubt be getting a lot of use out of your suggestion. Thanks again!

- HandsOff

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

NP's Handoff... glad it helped a bit. ;)

Currently my PS CS folder is 731Mb[LOL] but I do need to trim out a lot of rarely used styles, put them into groups and then only load the group I need upon startup. :D

cheers, Adrian

5. HandsOff

I hear you, i try to do that too, and as you probably do, i store them on different partitions if possible. For instance if i notice a plugin has a huge manual stored somewhere either within photoshop, or program files, or wherever, i will move them to a different partition where i store manuals. How big can a manual be? well I just moved the manuals for 3 components that totaled 30.8 mb. In the big picture it is nothing, its just sort of my habit to keep as much off of the C: drive as possible.

-HandsOff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.