Phantom tib file - Please help

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by marliz, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marliz

marliz Registered Member

I am unable to use Win XP defrag on my laptop because it keeps trying to move a .tib file. The problem is I uninstalled True Image [either version 7 or version 8] months ago and haven't been using the laptop. I have version 9, but don't want to install it until my hard drive is healthy.

I have searched my drive and made sure the recycle bin was empty. There is no .tib file to be found. No matter what I do my laptop freezes as soon as I try to defrag because it keeps trying to move the "non-existent" file.

I'm guessing it has something to do with a partition made by True Image? But, if so, how do I get rid of it short of reformatting the whole drive?

Hoping you can help!
    Marliz

2. oisin

oisin Registered Member

Check for hidden partitions

3. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

You don't say where you imaged to was it an external usb drive? If not I would suspect you have created a secure zone. ( ie: using the same drive).
    If that is the case you will probably have to install TI and remove the secure zone. I don't use secure zone, but I am sure someone will post a reply that knows about SZ. Meanwhile you can tell us how you made the original image.

4. marliz

marliz Registered Member

Re: Phantom tib file - Can't use XP Defrag

I didn't specify where I backed up to because I wasn't sure. I think I might have backed up to the laptop and then moved it to an external drive.

I don't remember using the True Image function to make a secure drive, but since it was months ago, that's possible.

Norton Utilities, version 2003, says there is a problem with the drive but chkdsk shows no problems. No partition shows in the disk manager under Windows administrator and it says the drive is healthy. I'm using XP home.

I found a small "unallocated" partition with Partion Magic, version 8, at the end of the drive. PM won't do anything with it. I think there is usually such a space after formatting a drive.

If I install TI 9, I wonder if it would show me a hidden partion if one was made with version 7 or 8?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.