PG's "pgaccount.exe" not loading

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Victor Afarta, Jan 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Ant, If you have uninstalled it just try once more to install but first make sure that none of your resident scanners are running.
    Make sure that you have administrative privleges in the account you wish to install it to.

It seems a shame to give up now as you were very close. Pilli

2. dog

dog Guest

Agreed. :) PG is the best Security/Prevention App IMHO. ;)

Keep Trying Ant ... You'll be glad you did. ;)

3. Ant718

Ant718 Registered Member

ok guys Ill give it one more go... Ill let you know the outcome shortly.

4. Ant718

Ant718 Registered Member

Here is what I did. I unloaded Ad-Watch, unplugged my Ethernet cable. Shutdown my firewall, stopped my Avast pro protection & closed my pop up killer. I then re-installed PG. So far I have re-booted 3x & all 3x it comes up w/out a hitch. So it seems it is now working. I really apreciate everyones help here & also for convincing me to not give up!!
    Thank You!!!

5. dog

dog Guest

Good Show ;) Enjoy. :)

6. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Phew! Ant I knew you could do it! once out of learning mode watch for new alerts to fine tune PG and go here: http://www.diamondcs.com.au/pgdb/index.php?showall=1 to view the settings for some common system programs and other applications. :)

Have fun. Pilli

7. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Registered Member

This has happened to me a couple of times. For whatever reason the problem was that ProcessGuard was not allowing PGAccount to start. So I added PGAccount to my Security list by starting it when PG was open, I got the prompt window, clicked "always allow" and the problem was solved. The most recent time PGAccount was listed as "allow once," which I thought was strange because I would never have set that as the permission, and it had been running for weeks just fine.

Maybe related to upgrading PG (example 3.100 to 3.150) - but it didn't seem to do it right away after upgrading. Not sure what that is all about....

>Edit: grammar<

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi DigitalMan, Thanks for the information, I have not had this problem but I am sure that DCS will look into it. :)

Pilli

9. Inviernos

Inviernos Registered Member

Joining the fray here.

I followed Ant's problem with great interest, testing and attempting to resolve idential issue, without success.

I am running 3.100 and this problem just started occurring. No priors issue with PG except earlt on with Ad-Watch the TSR watchdog portion set to high security.

Will take Pilli's counsel and uninstall 3.100 then move up to 3.150. Didn't realize there was such a critter. Will make certain to be offline and without any prophylactic software active and enabled.

Will let you know the results when finished. Also, I will not attempt to add pgaccount to registry again, until after new install is complete.

Ricardo

UPDATE: Safe Mode uninstalled 3.100 to the letter according to Jason's instructions. No problem on install of 3.150 with Ad-Watch unload. All settings, etc. brought into 3.150 without any problem.

Experimented by allowing Ad-Watch to start on subsequent reboot with "Lock startups" option disabled with Ad-Watch running in its own safe mode. Darned if it still didn't knock !1_pgaccount registry for a loop.

Reentered !1_pgaccount key in registry, so for the time being, in order to get PG 3.150 to work I took Ad-Watch offline.

Suggestions for further action awaited.

Ricardo

Last edited: Jan 30, 2005
  10. PG#1

PG#1 Guest

I did not have such problems since I followed the instructions help & the useful threads on this forum.
    But, I have such problem with limit-acct in winxp pro box. Everytime switched to the limit-acct, tried to run PG manually, I got that issue. I forgot to try this at the stage of first a fresh winxp installed (not tried to secure the box yet). It seems that it might be an issue if the box is hardened with "high security" templates/inf (ex, got from ms for "ms securing winxp v2.0 guide"). Anyone can confirm this or clear it up. thanks so much.

11. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi PG#1,

From looking at System\Logon, it is possible to prevent trusted security apps from starting properly. With the Do not process the legacy run list setting "Enabled", you would have to give explicit permission for any startup app to run.

"Enabling this setting also prevents certain system programs from running, such as antivirus software, and software distribution and monitoring software..."

Nick

12. PG#1

PG#1 Guest

Hi Nick_S,
    I dont have this turned on on my box. PG works well on my adm acct login, doesn't with limit-acct. It works fine on your winxp pro box with restrict-acct login?
    thx.

13. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi PG#1,

The Process Guard GUI (procguard.exe) is only viewable while you are logged in under the administrative account you used to install it. You are protected whether or not the GUI is running, even under other restricted accounts. I don't have any restricted accounts on my systems, but I believe pgaccount.exe should start automatically for any account.

Nick

14. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Or the account it was installed under, providing the user has Admin privileges.
    In ordinary user accounts you will still get PG alerts but cannot access the GUI. :)

15. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Using the "RUN AS" feature in a limited account to run the ProcessGuard GUI will bring up the error "cannot find pgaccount.exe" , but you can safely ignore this because the account you are in has one pgaccount.exe in it.

The reason this occurs is because when you use the "RUN AS" feature it basically creates the administrator account, and in that account no pgaccount.exe is running. So ProcessGuard is "right" in a way, but the user will not notice any real difference except for the warning message which appears (pgaccount.exe is not running).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.