pgaccount.exe is currently not running

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Osaban, Feb 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Hi there,

I have currently PG version 3.3 beta, and it has been running normally except for one issue: Every 4-5 new starts there's a warning window from PG with the following text -

WARNING
    A part of PG (pgaccount.exe) is currently not running. When this part is not running PG will be unable to handle execution requests.

Normally a reboot fixes the problem, but it wasn't happening in version 3.2 and 3.150.

My system:Windows XP Home SP2

Any ideas? Thanks

2. redwolfe_98

redwolfe_98 Registered Member

i would try to uninstall pg 3.3b and then install build 3.15.. "try" is the key word.. from the posts that i have read, it sounds like it is difficult to uninstall the new beta-builds..

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks Redwolfe_98 for your reply.

I'm quite disappointed as I expected some feedback on an issue about a beta version and nobody seems to care. So fine, I got the message, uninstalled 3.3 beta and I 'm back to 3.2.

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi, sorry for the delay. If you are running ProcessGuard manually, and logging into a limited user account you should use RUN AS to elevate its privileges. This message box should not be recurring and we can fix that if its recurring. I'll check on XP Home personally in case its different to Pro.

Uninstalling should be fine with protection off or from Safe Mode. We've fixed a few issues in the uninstallers of old :) Hopefully a new version soon and closer to perfect..

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Thanks for your time Gavin,

I've checked a few past threads about this issue and they seem to be about a registry entry that might have been modified by a scanner of sorts. That's not my case and I run always with adminitrative privileges.

I had no problems uninstalling and so far with version 3.2 it happened only once. You have suggested in one of your past threads to keep PG a little longer in learning mode and it seems to be working.

At this stage, I'll wait for the final version before I try a new install.

6. nowshining

nowshining Registered Member

i have also had the same thing, get clickoff and have it autoleft click the okay button.. :)

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

This error is generally only seen if you login to a limited user account and the click a PG shortcut to start it up.

If you're getting this when PG autostarts, there's a real issue. I'd suggest a disk check (chkdsk) and defrag, completely remove PG according to the help file manual uninstall, and reboot then install 3.300 Beta 2

I also suggest clearing the files out of the Windows\PREFETCH folder when you start the PG setup process (use the setup guide in the help file!) and if everything works right, making a new restore point :)

8. CK2103

CK2103 Registered Member

Hi new here, I've been using Process Guard for about a week now. Only within the last few days during the initializing of Process Guard upon booting up my computer a message popups 'Cannot open Mutex2'. When I open PG, under status it says...pgaccount.exe is currently not running. In this moment the only way to get PG to function properly is to go into my PG folder, double click on the pgaccount.exe icon, then PG works normal. I have uninstalled PG not once but twice. I have looked into my firewall, looks like PG and all other exe files relating to PG have permissions to operate. My computer is only 6 gb hd, 192 mb ram , 400 MHz processor. I am running WinXP SP2. When booting up my PC, I've notice that PG seems to be fighting with Zone Alarm to see which opens up first. Im assuming Zone Alarm is hogging up too much and PG is maybe struggling to get all of its resources initialized. I know I need to really purchase a new computer but in this moment I'm thankful I have this one :) Anyway just wanted to say I really really like Process Guard and I'll come back checking if there was a resolution on the Mutex2 or PGaccount.exe issues.:D

9. some made up name

some made up name Registered Member

Check your HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run registry key (that is what is being referred to by post #5) and make sure there is an entry for pgaccount.

10. spottydog

spottydog Registered Member

Ditto: But SP1 and no zone alarm. I have been using it for a long time. (and pc is fast, loads memory and loads of hard drive space)
    It just happens randomly. Pc sits at logon screen for ages then desktop background appears, then another wait for ages before an error and the rest of desktop comes up. Can be learning mode or not, makes no difference. I am the only user of pc and have admin priv.
    Should the reg entry be: !1_pgaccount ?
    3.3 Beta 2
    If I uninstall and reinstall its usually ok again.
    Strange.

11. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I have had v 3.150 for 3 weeks now, and everything has been running perfectly so far. The 'pgaccount.exe not running' is definitely related to the new betas and am still in the dark as to the reasons for it.

12. spottydog

yep it does indeed suck

13. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

Well a beta is a beta which means at your own risks, but v 3.200 was not released as a beta originally and as I'm not a beta tester I ended up wasting my time installing, uninstalling, and trying figuring things out unnecessarily.

Nevertheless I still trust DiamondCS in developing a great product.

14. Gavin - DiamondCS

Are you getting any problems if you completely uninstall, and go with 3.300 beta 3 ?

If you don't have the time or patience to reinstall again, I completely understand :) I've done a lot of them myself over the years so I'm used to it.

15. spottydog

I am trying it now. See how it goes.

16. spottydog

Latest version tried, oh dear.
    After lots of trouble shooting, turns out my anti virus (Nod32) had become "unstable"
    PG removed Nod32 removed. All back on and so far ok.(ver 3.510)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.