Pgaccount Does Not Start under Certain Circumstances

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by octogen, Oct 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. octogen

octogen Registered Member

I know there has been a thread discussing the issue of pgaccount not starting, but I think I may have a variation of it. When the computer is first started or rebooted and I go into the account with admin privileges pgacconut starts up fine. After I log off, the computer has beeen idle for a few hours and I try to log on to the admin account, I get the message that pgaccount is not running. In order to get it running again I have to reboot then of course after a few hours of idling I get the message again. I have checked the registry according to the previous thread and found that pgaccount is in every place it should be. I have KAV 5.0.388, RegDefend, LookNStop and Winpatrol also running in the background. Could Winpatrol be interfering with it? If so, what can I do to prevent this short of uninstalling Winpatrol? Thanks in advance.

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi octogen, At one time I remember having anomalies after leaving the PC for a while and found that adding my screensaver .scr file to the protection list with the default flags cured the problem.
    I am not familiar with all your security apps but I do know that underlying resident programs may kick in when your pc is idle for a time, a classic one is windows defrag, not sure if any of these could somehow disable pgaccount but it is worth investigating.

HTH Pilli :)

3. octogen

Thanks for the quick reply, Pilli. This forum (Wilders Security) has got to be one the best forums around. Anyway, I beleive that Winpatrol may have been the culprit. In my previous post I forgot to mention that I could not even start pgaccount manually once the message popped up, but I had to reboot in order to get it working again. This is what led me to believe that Winpatrol might have been preventing something. In Process Guard I unchecked the box where it allowed Winpatrol to install global hooks. Ever since doing that I haven't received the message, even after logging on the following day. Thanks again for the tip. Process Guard truly is a top notch application.

4. octogen

Apparently I was wrong about Winpatrol. :( I eventually got the message so I did what Pilli suggested. That seemed to have cured it. Thanks again, Pilli. I should have followed your expertise in the first place.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.