PG3 & NIS2005

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Baldrick, Oct 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there

As I am planning to upgrade to NIS2005 I was wondering if anyone out there (siliconman for instance) would advise the on the best approach vis-a-vis PG3, ie, should one turn off PG3 protection before the upgrade process and also clear any NIS2004-related items from the Protection list, then after the install but before rebooting switch on Learning mode?

Any advie would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Baldrick

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Baldrick, I cannot answer for Siliconeman but learning mode sounds like a good idea, also I believe you can switch off NIS2005's guard, this will prevent high cpu usage and allow Process Guard to do the guarding.

HTH Pilli

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I have always been unsuccessful with installing NIS over a previous version. Believe me, I've tried because I have several blocking custom rules that I deplore having to rebuild. I have tried just uninstalling the previous verion of NIS and telling it to save my settings so that "might" get picked up by the new version. However, my efforts have proven BAD, BAD.

My advice is:

0. Copy down all your settings for NIS/NAV because you will need to manually restore them after installing NIS 2005. Most of the GUI is identical to 2004 as far as settings are concerned. I use Print Screen and Paste each setting window in WORD. Then I refer back to the Word document to get my settings. Saves a lot of writing :) .

1. Be sure your system is clean of any spyware, viruses, trojans, worms, etc., prior to installing the new NIS.

2. Disconnect totally from the internet.

3. Turn off PG protection.

4. Be sure Windows XP firewall is deactivated.

5. Turn off all running programs.

6. Completely uninstall the previous version of NIS. Use Windows Explorer to remove any hanging Norton or Symantec folders/files.

7. Use a registry cleaning tool such as jv16 PowerTools or Ace Utilities to clean out many, many leftover NIS registry entries.

8. Clear out your Internet Temporary Files, Cookies, and your Windows\Temp folder.

9. Clear out all NIS entries from PG 3.

10. Reboot your computer and turn off all running programs again.

11. It's a good time to run CHKDSK /r /f to totally scan your hard drive for errors and make repairs. Then Defrag your hard drive. Reboot and turn off all running programs again.

12. Then install NIS 2005. You have 15 days to activate it via the Internet. Follow the reboot directions as per the installer.

13. Using LiveUpdate, download updates and new reference files. During this time that you are on the Internet initially, you can turn on Windows XP firewall to protect yourself. BUT turn it back off after you get NIS updated and running. The Windows Security Center (XP-SP2 only) will show NIS as your protecting firewall and NAV as your anti-virus protection.

14. Once you get all the settings the way you want them, reboot with all programs running and reactivate PG 3 protection. You may wish to put PG 3 in Learning Mode to pick up the new NIS modules.

15. NIS 2005 has its own Protection capability. You need to turn this off in NIS or you will see a big increase in your CPU utilization with PG 3 activated. So then you have to be sure PG 3 is set up to fully protect NIS 2005 modules. ;)

HTHs

4. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi Siliconman :rolleyes:

Many thanks for your time to provide such detailed instructions. I have now managed to install NIS2005 (which seems to be an improvement on NIS2004) but have run into some interesting problems with PG3 (which may or may not be linked) and which I will post in a different thread.

Co-incidently, a friend of mine also just upgraded to NIS2005 and he did an install, of the upgrade version, over his existing installation of NIS2004 and it appears to have been flawless, even keeping the Antispam learning settings but not the firewall rules (which is a shame). Still, it just goes to show that the same application can behave differntly on different machine.....why that happens is a bit of a mystery.

Best regards

Baldrick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.