PG wants to close FW on occasions???

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Tassie_Devils, Apr 16, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Hi guys.

Being a recent user of PG, I found a couple of things that don't seem to be quite right.

First, in another thread I did about Window's Update, during that process I was asked several times to "Allow" an .exe to run during installation.

That was fine, BUT I also got 3 messages from PG asking did I want to "Close this window....... being my Firewall ...Kerio... I hit the cancel button with no effects, all installed fine. So put it down to just a "twitch" with PG. [Have set CLOSE MSG Handling with FW in PG's Options]

Now, reading about another Poster's thread in Port Explorer re Updating New Databases and Domains in Port Explorer, I decided to try that [never knew it existed, pays to read the Help, LOL]

Anyhow, I got usual alert from Kerio asking for permission to access as this was the first time I did it. Allowed it, the little progress bar started fine, BUT once again, up pops PG, asking me if I want to CLOSE this window and giving my Kerio FW's persfw.exe application to close.

Again I hit CANCEL and the download proceeds fine, no probs. :) [Had to cancel twice, as appears two apps connected with FW]

I tried to replicate this again, but the progress bar just confirmed I was uptodate, no PG popup.

Any ideas why I would get this Human Confirmation to CLOSE my FW which I most certainly do not want to do? Glitch? or.....

Thanks TAS.

Next time must take a screenie :doubt:

2. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Tassie_Devils

Can I ask does this only happen when you are downloading something, Tas.

To Replicate try and update something else if you can, or try a random download from somewere safe, eg DCS free stuff.

TheQuest :cool:

3. Tassie_Devils

Hi TheQuest.

No mate, only those two occasions....

I had thought of that myself, but I am dl'ing all the time.

TDS daily updates, Av's defs, AdAware, SpywareBlaster, plus heaps of normal dl's for things like Photoshop, programs, etc. etc. I would update/dl up to 10-20 items per day. :)

Cheers, TAS

4. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Tassie_Devils

Strange. :eek:

I know what it is more graphics are trying to get out. :D
    Or Kerry trying to send down something to big. :D :D

TheQuest :cool:

5. Tassie_Devils

ROFL>..........graphics trying to get out... :eek:

Yeah, ya got that right. :D

Anyhow, off to work very soon, so someone may come up with an answer in meantime, not that it was a great deal, just scared the ^%$ outta me the first time, LOL.

Cheers, TAS

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hi,

It sounds like the firewall windows that get created are a special type that PG sees currently - the one that prompts you to allow the download. When you choose OK the firewall itself sends a message to close that window right ? because you said YES and now that window should go away. If you have Close Message Handling enabled on that process then you will see the confirmation unfortunately, because PG cannot be sure that its not a close message going to the MAIN firewall window, which would close it.

Solution ? either dont use Close Message Handling on that program, or choose yes to allow the window to close - its not the whole firewall, its just a msgbox (must be a special one)

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Tas, Gavin is quite correct, Kerio does open another window, cancel twice does the trick, also if you use Kerio's password protection CMH becomes a "who guards the guard" process and not really necessary IMHO, remember to that Kerio is still protected from change using Process Guards many other methods as well as it's own hash checking. :D

8. Tassie_Devils

Hi Gavin and Pilli...

Thanks guys, now I understand. It's not asking to close the main .exe but the window that the main exe prompted on in the first place. Huh?.. LOL.. :cool:

Upon reflection it only ever come up AFTER I had to "allow" Kerio itself to let some program access to the net.

Yeah, I think I will just drop Close MSG Handling on that one. Seeing as it's kind of protecting itself plus PG is still working in the background anyway. :)

Thanks for putting my mind at rest.

Cheers, TAS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.