PG vs SSM

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by kdm31091, Oct 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

Which do you think is better - ProcessGuard Free or SSM Free? I know SSM has more features, but is ProcessGuard just as capable? Which one is better protection? I know SSM has more prompts but are they worth it?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

comparing free versions, SSM offers everything in PG free plus more. thats a given.

is the additional protection worth it? that is up to the user. PG free might be better for a person new to HIPS whereas SSM is better suited toward advanced users wanting more control.

3. starfish_001

starfish_001 Registered Member

Comparing free versions is almost a no contest SSM easily offers better protection

but ... . the paid version of PG offers alot of protection in a very simple to use format - e.g key logger - the way it blocks global hooks is simple but just works ssm requires more judgement with the dialogues but alsway works

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Very Frequent Poster

I have never used the free versions of either app. In both cases, I trialed the non-free. Therefore, I'm a bit OT but here are my views any way...

Based on kareldjag's tests, PG & SSM both give superb protection.

With protection being roughly equal, my *selection criteria* boiled down to support, prices, GUI preferences, compatibility with other programs, and similar factors. I concluded that SSM is a bit more stringently maintained than PG, has more staffing to do the job, & has fewer compatibility issues. Therefore, I chose SSM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.