PG vs PX&OA

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Longboard, Oct 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Trying to get as good a blocker +/- appcontrol as good as PG without lots of indecipherable pop-ups.

Will PrevX and OA in combo do the job.

Have been watching others sing the praises of SSM lately.

Maybe PX&SSM?
    Or SSM &OA?
    Thx for any opinions,?experience good or bad.

Regards.

2. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

I'm using a combo of PrevX and SSM (paid).
    Still get a few pop ups from SSM but I like its fine- grained control for parent/ child process as well as acting as a safety net should something slip by PrevX1.
    Memory usage reasonable :
    SSM= 11540K
    PrevX = 25000K
    I found OA good but slightly heavier on resources but stopped using it as it kept producing double 'internet and email' entries on my start menu every time it upgraded and crashed the explorer shell every time I changed visual style (which may not be a consideration for you).
    In addition it didn't work fully with Opera, although I believe the latest interim update does.
    I'm going to try the latest OA instead of PrevX in another FD-ISR snapshot but having used the above combo for a couple of months now I have to say I'm really happy with them.

3. Longboard

Longboard Registered Member

Thankyou
    Ripe situation for a couple of fdisr snaps :)
    Software testing on the fly. :D
    Regards.

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

In addition to doing everything a HIPS is supposed to do, SSM also protects processes from termination, according as you set it to do so.

If you want a combination, I recommend SSM plus Core Force. Core Force is a VERY powerful firewall plus it is also a HIPS. With SSM plus Core Force you will have a well-nigh impregnable security wall.

If you go this route, Core Force must be your only FW. Two FWs on one computer is like having your wife and your mother living together with you in the same household. Yada yada Biff! Bam! NOT a good combination. :eek: :blink: o_O :gack: :eek: :blink:

5. L Bainbridge

L Bainbridge Registered Member

I haven't heard of Core Force before - sounds really interesting.
    Any threads on it- as the Core Labs site doesn't give a lot away.
    Is this going to one of those 'betas' that becomes paid once its fully ready for prime time?
    How does the f/w compare cf. L'n'S and Comodo and what's the resource usage like?
    I'm always a bit suspicious of good 'free' security applications (see my signature:D ) - is everything here kosher?
    Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.