PG not initializing properly -HELP ???

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by CarolHaynes, Nov 30, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarolHaynes

CarolHaynes Registered Member

I am having a recurring problem. On startup PG just sits in my tray (normal blue icon - so it looks like it is working) but when I open the window it has the message "Error in initialization. Driver isn't installed".

Often rebooting fixes this but sometimes not. Any idea how to fix it?

I have uninstalled and reinstalled PG and it worked for a while and now it is doing it again.

Trouble is every time I reinstall it has to start learning again. Is there any way to save what it has been taught?

2. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Hi there,
    sounds difficult.
    A few questions though:
    Are you using the account that PG is installed in? (admin, user)
    Which other security programs do you run at the same time?
    Is it the the full paid version or the free version?
    And did you updated from a previous version?
    Did you clean it out properly and reboot before installing (again)? with all other security and protection disabled?
    And wich windows version do you use?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  3. CarolHaynes

Yes - admin user
    NOD32 AV, Sygate Pro Firewall, Ghost Security Suite, Spy Sweeper
    Full/paid version
    No it was a first time install
    YES
    Windows XP SP2

It is strange because it has been working for ages with no problems. It has suddenly started doing this. I changed my firewall today to ZoneAlarm but it was doing it with my old Firewall too.

At the moment I have fixed it by simply installing again over the old install (I stopped the processes to allow the processes applications to be written). trouble is this loses all the access to individual apps.

I have tried doing a complete uninstall and reinstall.

After reinstall (fresh or over the top) I lose all my application rules but at least it works, a few days later it starts playing silly beggars again.

4. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Delete all files in \Windows\PREFETCH

Then defrag the hard drive (it may do itself).. and while you're at it check you have plenty of space on the Windows drive

Then reboot a few times in a row. Let us know how it goes. If you want to reinstall, uninstall from Safe Mode first. Then you can reboot back to Windows and reinstall.

Any more problems please tell us if you have a LOT of programs starting up with Windows, and not enough memory. Simply buying more memory in some cases means a massive improvement in boot time and no problems with drivers and lots of programs - "conflicts"

5. CarolHaynes

Thanks - actually I clean up my system very regularly (with CrapCleaner) and that includes Prefetch.

Perfect Disc doesn't say my disc needs defragging at the moment (it is done regularly anyway).

My C: drive has 9Gb of free space and I have 1Gb of RAM.

The system isn't really overloaded.

I do have a fair number of things starting with my system, most are managed by "Startup Delayer" so that important programs like AV, Firewall, PG and SpySweeper have time to start before anything else tries to load.

6. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Hmm ok very interesting. Thanks for the quick feedback.

I'd suggest you try some delaying or disable other security programs and see how it goes, a little experimenting will go a long way. If you can get everything working fine, re-enable one by one and try to find if there is a conflict ?

7. CarolHaynes

Problem is it is all working at the moment. Following the last reinstall there hasn't been a problem - but I am not confident that the problem won't recurr simply because this is the third time recently I have had to reinstall!

The other slightly odd thing is that when it fails to initialize there is no warning that the program isn't running properly. You have to physically open the window to see it isn't working (the tray icon is the normal running status icon).

8. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

CarolHaynes,
    You aren't alone in experiencing the problem it also happens to me from time to time (I think it has been mentioned in another thread). I haven't noticed a pattern for when PG decides to go on vacation but most of the time it is fine

The biggest problem of course is that ProcessGuard is non-functional and there is no big red flashing light to alert you to the fact that you are not protected.

I generally notice when I start a control panel applet because I always get a prompt for a rundll32 execution and when it is missing I know that PG isnt working, it is a matter for concern of course because a security application should be reliable. Knowing that is happens can stop your exposure most of the time because you know to check after each reboot/login but that doesn't help people that don't know or even yourself when you happen to forget (as I have done several times)

9. dannyboy 950

dannyboy 950 Registered Member

While reading this post I noticed my PG tray icon was missing. I reloaded and checked the logs and found no entrys from 20.05 till the time I restarted the app. Also when I restarted the program it says pgacccount.exe was not running.

After reading several posts here perhaps it's time to consider that someone has found away to mess with your program and not blame it on user settings or configureations.

Just a thought

10. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

I also had the NIP Mess. I Restarted PG a few times & then got the pgacccount Missing Mess. I checked Services and it was not Running. I then went to PG Program File and Opened pgacccount exe. I then got an Alert from Appl Defl I Clicked Allow Always. I Restarted PG and it worked OK. If it Stops again later I will Post Back.

11. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

I've had this problem with PG (going on vacation) ever since it was released and newer versions seemed to make it work for longer but eventually the same thing would happen so I decided not to use PG anymore until a really stable and reliable version is released. (if ever)

The last time it worked perfectly for 3 months and then one day it just stopped working and I've got better things to do with my time than troubleshoot for DCS. It's just not my job. Since I paid for it, it should be working so it's very annoying when it just crashes making you have to re-install it knowing that after a certain period of time it's going to happen all over again, so I ditched it. Stable and well written programs don't ever cause problems for me like this - it always seems to be PG that just can't seem to get it's act together.

Having said this, the latest version stayed on my PC for over 3 months then inexplicably stopped functioning. (again) MY AV has been on my PC 6 months and other programs for years and never a conflict or malfunction so I'm quite annoyed and fed up with the instability of PG. It's just a nuisance that this keeps happening over and over again and it seems that I'm not the only one!! So I'm just not bothering with it anymore.
    Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.