PG issues

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by dallen, Nov 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

If you right click on the systray icon for NAV 2005, do you have a Log Viewer option? Open Log Viewer and there should be an Alert Log. The log entries will have stopped if you turned off Self Protection in NAV 2005 because PG is no longer blocked.

2. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Thanks...I found the log viewer. However, the only repeated entries I see involve "dcsuserprotect.exe" as the "actor." So, shouldn't I be able to give dcsuserprotect full privilages and see my problem go away? I though PG was structured in such a way that giving a process privilages to access overrides a protected process from being protected. In other words, giving dcsuserprotect the right to read takes priority over NMain (another protected process) having "protect this application from" reading checked.

3. siliconman01

If you have Self Protection turned off in NAV 2005, the log events should not be occurring. Clear your log and see if any more appear.

It's NAV that is blocking any attempts by the PG executable dcsuserprotect.exe to access the NAV routines that are protected by NAV itself. None of the ALLOWS or Options in PG for dcsuserprotect.exe will let it access the NAV files if Self Protection is turned on.

Incidentally, TrojanHunter affects NAV in the same way because of the injection routine of TH for protection.

NMain is part of NAV.

4. dallen

dallen Registered Member

siliconman01,
    I knew that NMain is part of NAV. However, I did not realize that NAV was doing the blocking. That's very helpful and I thank you for the insight into this issue. Something interesting though. My home PC is set up identically as my laptop, but I am only experiencing this processor usage issue on my laptop. Any thoughts on that?

5. siliconman01

Are you sure the other system is not being affected? It's possible that the affect is much less than on your laptop because of the processor type, etc. My system only sees about a 15% increase in CPU utilization with NIS 2005 self protection on, but that is significant and undesirable to me.

Take a prolonged look at the other machine's CPU utilization with it turned on and then turn off self protection and see how much it drops. Also check if you are getting the log entries prior to turning off self protection.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.