PG and Advanced Process Termination v3.0

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Logan5, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Hi,

I just downloaded Advanced Process Termination v3.0 and am trying it out. I noticed on web site talking about the new Advanced Process Termination it has "APT vs. Process Guard" and the fact that PG would win if configured correctly. I was pretty sure PG was configured correctly on my PC yet APT can kill it! It cannot kill ZA Pro (but can NOD32, have not tried any others yet).

I am a bit confused (and worried) why PG is being killed. I am not sure what settings in PG I do not have set correctly that is allowing APT to kill it. Can anyone tell me what settings IN PG need set so it cannot be killed?

Thanks
    Logan

2. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

Yes, when configured correctly ProcessGuard easily blocks all of APT's attacks, making it a useful tool to help ensure ProcessGuard is configured properly :)

So how were you able to kill it?

The new 'Kernel Kill' feature is the most advanced, but even this can easily be blocked by ProcessGuard because to achieve this trick APT has to drop and install a system driver (.sys file) - ProcessGuard will block it at this early stage if "Block Drivers/Rootkits/Services" is checked, even before any calls to NtTerminateProcess are made. :)

Best regards,
    Wayne

3. fosius

fosius Registered Member

I tried to find Advanced Process Termination program on the web but I didn't find it. From where can I download it? Thanks

4. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

5. fosius

fosius Registered Member

But I found there only version 1.9.. Guys mentioned version 3.0:doubt:

6. SpikeyB

SpikeyB Registered Member

7. fosius

fosius Registered Member

Thank you very much ;)

8. Wayne - DiamondCS

Wayne - DiamondCS Security Expert

:)
    We've made several private Wilders-only releases recently - only announced to the public here exclusively at Wilders, including APT, some 25 freeware console tools, and of course the ProcessGuard and Port Explorer betas. There are actually two main reasons for this - 1) we want some solid beta testing done before we release them to the public, and 2) we'll be launching our new website soon so we will be launching several of these programs to the general public then :)

9. Starrob

Starrob Registered Member

I can not get Process Termination to work. Everytime I click on APT 3.0, I get a message saying "The Procedure GetStockobject could not be located in the DLL GDI32.DLL"

I downloaded and installed GDI32.DLL 5.1.2600.1789 from Microsoft which is the Microsoft Security Bulletin MS06-001
    Vulnerability in Graphics Rendering Engine Could Allow Remote Code Execution (912919) and I still get the same error.

Starrob

10. Logan5

Logan5 Registered Member

Wayne,

Not sure why APT was able to kill PG or any other program. I think perhaps PG my have gotten corrupted. I un-installed and reinstalled PG and everything is working fine. PG stopped APT cold in it's tracks :)

Thanks for stopping by to help out.

Logan

11. TNT

TNT Registered Member

If you allow the program to run at kernel level (as you do if you choose the 'kernel' termination), there is no way for PG to stop it. Of course, APT needs to install a driver to do this, and PG can prevent driver installation (in 'full' mode, not in 'free' mode). The same thing happens with IceSword: PG stops it from installing its driver and it can't run; but if in Process Guard you allow the installation of IceSword's driver, the IceSword can kill Process Guard with ease.

12. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

Starrob, what video card and are they relatively new drivers ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.