PG 3 Beta Kill Norton Internet Security 2004

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by siliconman01, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog

dog Guest

Hmmm, strange ... I have the Norton WMI patch and noneless NPF will not load regardless of PG's settings (which I have played with) ... if PG's protection is enabled it will not / does not load.

2. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Hi there one and all :)

I am seriously confused. o_O This afternoon I did a complete re-install of PG3 (had done so before but due to the problems with NIS had rolled back using GoBack). Went through all the steps carefully, ie, disable PG2 protection, exit, uninstall, check Windows/System32 for pguard.dat & pghash.dat (found and deleted), install PG3, etc..............and NIS & NAV came up properly, and I have now been running for several hours with no issues in that department. So, given previous experiences, I am completely baffled as to why that is the case. No explanation! o_O

Only issue I have had is that the System Tray icon disappeared at one stage and even clicking the desktop icon did not allow me access to the application. I had to log out and then log in again to get the System Tray icon back..........but apart from that! o_O

Will try to give PG3 some more wellie this evening.

Best regards

Baldrick

3. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks for the feedback Baldrick, I have noticed that sometimes you need to leave PG in learning mode for quite a while for it to catch new services / perocesses working and "learn" them, I am sure many of the more complex security programs such as Norton have many sub processes which PG has to enumerate. Maybe this is what happened in your case.

Cheers. Pilli

4. Baldrick

Hi there :D

Just a quick update on NIS2004 and the new PG3 Beta.

Once again, I did a completely new install of PG3 (had gone back to PG2 whilst waiting for this release). Went through all the steps carefully, ie, disable PG2 protection, exit, uninstall, check Windows/System32 for pguard.dat & pghash.dat (found and deleted), install PG3, etc..............and as with Beta 1 NIS & NAV came up properly. I then went through all my usual applications (to give PG3 a chance to learn) and that involved logging out and into each of the 3 users set up on my PC. I also rebooted from within each of the users just to try to capture any very early processes starting, etc. All this activity was done with the 4 global protection options turn off. And in each case NIS & NAV reported for duty as normal. I then enable the 4 global protection options and rebooted.........and low and behold NAV came up but not NIS.......and nothing in Alerts to help.

So I switched off all the global options and rebooted......and both NAV & NIS started correctly. Looking at this from the perspective of what has changed between PG2 & PG3 in this area (and not being very technical) I decided to switch off the Protect Physical Memory option. Rebooted and both NAV & NIS started correctly.....and I have now been running for several hours with no issues in that department.

Apologies for the long post but I hope that this may be off use to someone out there. :blink: I will continue to monitor this and advise if there is any change.

Best regards

Baldrick

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks Baldrick for the informative post. I am pretty sure that you Norton users will work out a set of rules that will work for other Norton users.
    Any major security suite like Norton is going to take a time to configure with Process Guard but I am sure the extra layer of security will be worth it.

Thanks again for your time and effort. Pilli

6. Baldrick

Hi Pilli

No problem! You are right. I think that there is a view out there that PG3 will be configureed in 2 minutes. However, it is a complex and quite unique program that needs to be given the time to show its true colours.........and it is well worth a little bit of hassle to get it to do the business. I wouldn't be without it!

Perhaps, once the 'real' release is out and bedded in we could open up a thread for the key security applications and recommend a 'standard' or 'base' configuration approach..........to help other users out?

Best regards

Baldrick

7. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Yes, In one of his weaker moments Gavin said that he was prepared to put together a database using users protection lists as a guide, quite an undertaking IMO :) And I doubt it will happen until the DCS decks get cleared a bit
    I'm Hoping thet the full release will include a protection list text file for that very purpose.
    We could always start a thread with program specific settings as well as a sort of quick reference.

Cheers. Pilli :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.