PG 3.150 and Java?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by dja2k, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Why does PG go wild when using a browser that encounters a java enabled site. I have used Firefox, Maxthon, and IE for that same site. PG keeps wanting access to physical memory and when I temp allow it, and then remove it manually, PG still keeps saying with the popup (Firefox was blocked from accessing physical memory). No one has been able to help out with the Access Physical Memory problem I keep encountering. Must be some other program I've installed or hardening of the system that made that option wild in PG. I also keep getting the Access Physical Memory problem when I right click on a file in my computer or the desktop (being that explorer.exe is blocked from accessing physical memory). Like I said before, Leadtech's Winfast tv alos wants that option, Media player classic also, DVD shrink also, if not they don't play the video and show a green or rainbow color instead of the video. I have seen Ewido and other scanners also ask for that same permission, but I guess those are normal since they are reading files. I have reformatted my hard drive once since I started to show that problem and yes it has come back.

What can be compramised if I let those other programs access physical memory. By defualt, if I did keep the learing mode longer than the reboot after the initial install, all my browsers, explorer.exe, and others would have gotten the access physical memory by itself anyways.

I kept ignoring the problem of the access physical memory for a while, but now it is getting annoying. If anyone can help, that would be appriciated greatly.

dja2k

2. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I think something has changed in IE specifically, I dont know if the same applies to Firefox (haven't tested yet). A Windows 2000 setup I have displayed this behaviour:

Visiting a HTTPS secure website recently, IEXPLORE.EXE wanted Physical Memory access - and EXITED because it was blocked.

All other browsing was fine, but another different HTTPS site also showed this behaviour. The site would load up about half way, and then boom Internet Explorer closed. Task Manager showed it had completely shut down.

Allowed PhysicalMemory access and logged into the site. No problems. Checked the external sniffer and traffic was as normal, nothing extra was going in or out (so no compromise)

One of the recent security updates for Windows 2000 or for IE may have caused this, because it has only just started happening..

3. gottadoit

gottadoit Security Expert

Gavin,
    Out of interest what is it doing when it is accessing physical memory ?

4. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Well this is what its doing to me, don't think its the same as Gavin states though. I am using Firefox. Yet it does the same thing on Opera, Mathon, and IE. On my website, there is some kind of banner which I guess was made with java for its effects which is shown all scrambled if no access to physical memory is allowed making the website unusable as well. Also no java chat rooms work since it demands access to physical memory for them to bring up the java applet window.

dja2k

5. Rainwalker

Rainwalker Registered Member

Also requesting more info..

6. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

One more incident of access physical memory. Today I wanted to see a trailer for a movie that used windows media player plugin and right away PG asked for global hook and access physical memory permission.

dja2k

7. Gavin - DiamondCS

I'm not sure what you mean, but the fact that it's an HTTPS site is the only difference to every other site.

Load the site up, it immediately exits. You'd have to ask Microsoft "what the browser is doing" :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2005
  8. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Who are you referring this to? If its me, I am using firefox as my choice for a browser. Why would I ask Microsoft something if its ProcessGuard whom is doing the blocking. I will allow physical memory and let my other programs do the dangerous blocking...

dja2k

9. Gavin - DiamondCS

Edited post :)

You will need to allow in some cases, so you are correct to do that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.