pg 1.300 log

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by the mul, Feb 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the mul

the mul Registered Member

C20 Feb 00:29:40 - Window Log Started
    20 Feb 11:17:38 - Process Guard Protection is ACTIVE
    20 Feb 20:44:46 - Process Guard Protection is ACTIVE
    21 Feb 11:25:40 - Process Guard Protection is ACTIVE
    21 Feb 11:35:45 - [DRIVER/SERVICE] c:\docume~1\alluse~1\applic~1\symantec\liveup~1\downlo~1\exitem2406_norton$20internet$20security$20ids$20signatures_1.0_english\idscolu.exe [2068] Tried to modify an existing driver/service named symidsco
    Can u please help with this log.

THE MUL

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Mul, This looks like the NAV udater trying to start a service, I do not use NAV but if you do a search on this forum there are a number of PG - NAV posts.
    If you have not already done it you may need to add the udater .exe to the list

HTH Pilli

3. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

I had the same log report after NIS 2004 did a live update. Apparently part of the update included a Symantec driver revision.

You need to add idscolu.exe and idslu.exe to PG and set Options to allow Driver/Service installation for these two executables. I would also ALLOW Write, SetInfo, Terminate, Suspend. Be sure the BLOCK is active for Write, SetInfo, Terminate, Suspend.

These two files are found in C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\IDSDefs folder

Also you probably need to reboot so that the new Symantec driver is active.

The above PG entry should prevent this problem the NEXT time Symantec LiveUpdate downloads a Driver revision....which could happen anytime.

4. the mul

many, many, many, thanks for all your help, i will do this straight away.
    I have not had any problems before from nav, and as u say the new update has caused the problem to arise.

thanks again

the mul

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Thanks siliconman01, you now have 14 karma cookies as I thought 13 may be deemed unlucky by some :)

OK mul - They are a helpful lot around here :)

Enjoy!

6. the mul

I have tried to find idscolu.exe and idslu.exe in the symantec shared file, but idsdefs folder does not exist in there.
    I have done a search and idscolu.exe only exists in the prefech, and idslu.exe does not exist ,and i also searched for the idsdefs folder, and it does not find it either.
    Just to let u know it is nav 2003 that i have as a backup av, it is not my main av.

Hope to hear from u soon

The Mul

7. siliconman01

I see in your signature that you have Norton Personal Firewall (npf). NIS is just a combination of NAV and NPF. IDSCOLU.exe is for internet security updates which would be NPF.

It may be a hidden file. In Windows Explorer, do you have Show Hidden Files permitted and Hide Protected Operating System Files unchecked?

8. the mul

Can u tell me where are these options to check and un check.

the mul

9. the mul

I have found it, and have show hidden files box checked already, and hide protected operating system files box i have unchecked this.
    I have tried to find idscolu.exe and idslu.exe in symantec shared fies, but it is not there, or any where i have looked, even a search has only found idscolu .exe exists in the prefetch that is all i can find.

the mul

10. gkweb

gkweb Expert Firewall Tester

may be norton only extract them temporarly and delete them after the update ?

11. the mul

You might be right on that one, i have had only one log on this issue, and no other alerts before, or now, on this issue have ever appeared.
    I will wait and see if it happens again.

thanks the mul

12. siliconman01

Yes, that is a possibility and difference between 2003 and 2004 or maybe even my NIS and your NPF. They are located where shown in my first post for NIS 2004 version.

From what I can tell, the driver gets updated okay when the PG BLOCK occurs; however, it probably does not get loaded in memory until you reboot. As you know, Symantec does a lot of program updating automatically and without rebooting under normal circumstances.

13. the mul

Thanks for all your help siliconman 01.

the mul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.