PestPatrol has BIG problems

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by bellgamin, Sep 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

PestPatrol's Updater is badly broken. Day after day after day it keeps re-loading the SAME update files, & can't be gotten out of that loop.

See thread about this on PP's forum at
    http://pestpatrol.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=000061

Hurry if you want to read this. PP's "updater problems" thread seems to mysteriously lose postings from time to time.

It's sad that PP's reputation might get damaged by a secondary issue such as a buggy updater.

Regards,
    Bellgamin

2. root

root Registered Member

Looks like you have to register just to get in.
    Are they paranoid? :D

3. marti

marti Registered Member

I'm glad it's not just me. :D I reported this directly to PP Tech Support on 09/12/09. I had just updated to the latest files that day, and later on, hit the shortcut to the download site, by mistake. I was surprised to have the files from 09/09/02 start coming in!

They had me reload the updater, and I don't know what else. A few emails were exchanged, over a period of several days. I, on my own, uninstalled/reinstalled the program. Didn't help. Now it first gets the files for 09/09/02 and then I go back and it downloads the files for 09/12/02.

Go look at this file in the PP directory to see what you actually have on your system: "version.txt"

There should be 6 files listed. From the top the dates are: 09/10/02; 09/11/02; 09/11/02; 09/11/02; 09/11/02; and 09/12/02. Those are the current files. You can always verify the current files here: http://pestpatrol.com/Support/Downloads.asp

Scroll down to the bottom of the page. Note that there may be "beta" and "production" files listed.

BTW, I never heard back from them after the last email that I sent, saying "that didn't work either..."

(I maybe be telling you things that you already know, but it may help others .)

Edit: I added a shorter version of the above to the PP forum thread you referenced.

4. discogail

discogail Security Expert

I had the same problem....When I tried the fix that was suggested..

"Using Windows Explorer, navigate to c:\program files\pestpatrol search for PestPatrolNews.txt highlight it and delete it.

Next, reboot your computer. Now retry the PestPatrol update, it should function ok after this. 9/11/02 is the date of the current .dat files."...........

It worked........

5. marti

marti Registered Member

That's interesting. I was never told to do that....

6. marti

marti Registered Member

I deleted the news file and rebooted; now the update site is down. :(

I went back over the emails exchanged, they had me reinstall the updater -- no change & I reported back; then they said to get the beta version of the updater -- I couldn't download it (you have to sign up to a beta tester); then they sent me the beta updater....

As I said above, they never responded to my the last email that I sent, the one that said "that did not work...."

None of the emails from PP tech support involved deleting the news file.

So, guys & gals, I'll try again, when the update site is "up."

7. bellgamin

The *solution* that discogail refers to is only a TEMPORARY fix. The PP forum thread that I referenced records user complaints about this very fact.

Deleting PPnews evidently tricks the updater into breaking out of repeatedly downloading the same updates. This trick only lasts for 1 or 2 days, however. The bug does NOT go away. The updater eventually returns to its repetitious ways. :oops:

8. marti

marti Registered Member

Hi bellgamin,

I'll go back and carefully read the thread on the forum again. It's been a long day...

9. bellgamin

Hola Marti -- better read fast. As I said, some posts have mysteriously evaporated.

Ummm.... maybe they wuz et by the gaur? ;)

10. marti

marti Registered Member

HeHeHe. I remembered what you said. There is a "Printer-friendly view of this topic," which I used and then printed the complete thread. :D

11. marti

marti Registered Member

Days have gone by, and the thread on the Pest Patrol forum has grown. This is a forum, for the product, and provided by the product vendor. In my opinion, the thread is being ignored by the Pest Patrol folks, because they don't have an answer. What's wrong with saying "the problem has been referred to xxx department and we are working on the solution?"

12. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

We'll drop them an email and (try to) see what's going on over there. Keep you all posted.

regards.

paul

13. marti

marti Registered Member

Thanks, Paul.

14. octogen

octogen Registered Member

Very good point! I have Pest Patrol and am very concerned. I too would like to thank Paul for looking into this matter.

15. bellgamin

I must add my thanks to Paul for checking with the PP folks. Maybe they will harken to him whereas we -- PP's users -- seem to be the voice in the wilderness for now.

The PP program does a LOT of stuff over & above trojans, so it's bound to be a complex piece of software. Moreover, PP is soon to release a major new version.

Ergo, I would guess that PP's *top guns* are busy on the new version & can't deal with this issue right now. But even a secretary could handle this -- just say "Be patient, we're working on it."

I like PP so much that I WILL be patient for a long time -- but maybe NOT for very long if they continue the silent treatment.

16. FanJ

FanJ Guest

A copy from a posting from today at the PestPatrol-forum from one of their mod's:

[hr]

A message from David Stang and the Support Team:

Our apologies for the troubles some people have experienced when trying to update PestPatrol. We are in the process of preparing version 4.0, and this new version will be using a very different format in pestpatrolnews.txt. Unfortunately, after changing the format, some things held up shipping version 4.0 -- which is now scheduled to ship in the next week or so.

In the meantime, we've reverted pestpatrolnews.txt to the old format, so that your PPUpdater should work correctly. For your information, the latest scan strings for your version will have dates of September 12.

We look forward to supporting you with version 4.0 sometime soon!

17. marti

marti Registered Member

Thanks for information, Jan.

18. marti

marti Registered Member

Guess what? The thread was removed.

19. discogail

discogail Security Expert

Wow....it has.......completely vanished.

20. bellgamin

The thread is gawn [song title]. :)

Okay, so the PP folks say that Updater is *fixed*

Is it? Well, yes, it no longer repeatedly downloads the same updates. Instead, it now downloads no updates whatsoever. That is, it indicates that the *latest* update of PP's pest signatures is the one dated 9/12/02. Nearly 1 month ago. :doubt:

21. marti

marti Registered Member

Latest rumor regarding PP Version 4: http://www.pcqanda.com/dcforum/computer/48717.html

22. marti

marti Registered Member

The Pest Patrol fourm has been down for a couple of days.

This is what I see:

There was a compilation error while loading the UBB libraries and data files:

Can't locate D:/Inetpub/wwwroot/SaferSite Production/cgi-bin/ubb_lib.cgi at E:\Inetpub\wwwroot\web3.PestPatrol.com\cgi-bin\UltimateBB.cgi line 75.

Please make sure that you uploaded the CGI and Variables files to the proper directory, permissions are set properly on the files, and that paths in the control panel are set correctly.

23. Paul Wilders

marti,

That info is not addressed to you, but to SaferSite/Pestpatrol. As it seems, they encounter CGI problems on their board software.

On a side note: as it seems, we (.org) are going to down rate PP within a week.

regards.

paul

24. marti

marti Registered Member

Paul,

I understand what the message at the PP forum means, I just find it very strange that it has remained in that state for days.

The lack of a working forum, plus no updates in a month is not acceptable.

25. Paul Wilders

marti,

OK - explained it just in case ;).

Indeed, there are several reasons for downrating PP - you have named some.

regards.

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.