Pest Patrol

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Zee59, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zee59

Zee59 Registered Member

Hi: I have Adaware 1.05 pro and SpyBot S&D 1.3 installed along with Pest Patrol.
    My question is every time I scan with Pest Patrol I seem to get alot of False Positives and the files it says to delete are ligit windows files or program files from other software.Now that CA has broght Pest Patrol I got an E Mail asking if I want to upgrade to the newest version for the $19.99 price now.So is it worth it? or Can I get by with the Adaware and SpyBot S&D or is there another one out there that is good.
    Thanks.

2. gre87y

gre87y Registered Member

You may want to look at Giant Antispyware to go along with adaware and spybot. I agree with you I think Pest Patrol has way to many false positives.

3. greatwhite

greatwhite Guest

I agree Giant is a good replacement for Pest Patrol, though it will cost you more than PP. Also SpySweeper is a good program, may be somewhat cheaper than Giant.

4. kevm

kevm Registered Member

I have version 5 and the false positives seem to be endless. With the latest detection strings, it is calling the entire norton antivirus quarantine folder as an unknown pest.

What I am not sure of is if some of these false posititives may come from an interraction with another program such as spyware blaster. I have posted a question to this forum regarding that possibility.

I basically use PP5 for its resident protection only. I NEVER and I mean NEVER delete anything based solely on PP5's detection and I honestly from my experience and in my opinion do not think it is wise to do so.

5. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I can help a little. I ran Pestpatrol up until recently. I have had Spy Sweeper for a year and it is really good. I quit using Pestpatrol because of the false positives. I now just run Spybot, Adaware and Spy Sweeper. Also use Prevx which I really like.

6. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Spyware blaster is good to add to ones security. I no longer use pestpatrol ( for the above reasons) I only run with Adaware SE and spyware blaster and thats fine for me.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
  7. Zzee59

Zzee59 Guest

I updated my Pest Patrol current version yesterday and for the first time it found a couple of items that were not false positives and that Adaware and Spybot missed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.