Pest Patrol Version 4???

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by marti, Oct 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robert

robert Guest

On the 15 th i emailed them to ask regarding the new expected version and that upto this time i had not as yet received any notification of it . I received a reply within the hour , which was pretty fast . I downloaded it just too see how it was looking as i had been reading the occassional disatisfaction from posts along the way . It did not seem to run well on my old system , which i felt was a shame , so i canned it and thought i would cut my loses . However today i decided to have another look at it and see if there were any further improvements as i think they had been rushing things in trying to get it out on time . I am really quite happy with the download today and it ran sweetly on my system and during the last 6 months or so i have not had a trojon either . Its got some interesting new features in the next version that they were saying they hope will be out by xmas . A keypatrol , a cookie patrol , and a portpatrol. Im happy with the version that i have loaded down as it runs very sweetly and scans very fast for my pc . If it does the job , and time will tell lol , then coupled with my kaspersky lite im gonna be a happy chappy . regards , Robert

2. :p
    Well, I agree, and it looks like I'll spend the money and buy TrojanHunter..

I went on PestPatrol's site and posted a note, I guess money matters to me, but the heck with it, I'll bite the bullet.. I was thinking, maybe ONE more chance and that's it...

Thanks for your viewpoint.

3. robert

robert Guest

Hey Straight Shooter , im not trying to disuade you as i know what a fine product Trojan Hunter is said to be , but as you have spent the $ there is a new link open that i found today ( 23 rd nov downunder time saturday eve ) and its a good new version ,
    http://download.pestpatrol.com/ kind regards , Robert

4. Well, they answerd my email! Actually, the lady who answered it, Shirley, was very apolegetic. Okay, I'll give them the benefit of a doubt. I downloaded Ver 4, and actually, it looks quite good! I think the problem they had with the ppupdater is fixed. Also, the interface is easier, tighter, and more "Modern".. Well, I'll give them a another chance. I do like them, I hope their support is good.

5. robert

robert Guest

since i put my post in on saturday , the link has been edited and changed to another link to there home page , but the reason Peter , that i put this link in was to save the hassle for anyone who does wish to get the good version, who may be liscenced , to quickly download it , without getting sidetracked and having to hunt thru there site to find it , hope you dont mind , the removed link is deleted - Forum Admin regards , Robert

note: The - deleted - URL is primarily used for internal purposes to service select customers - as the software designers have notified us - Forum Admin

6. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

This URL is fine robert. :)
    I would have IM´ed you before changing, but since you´re not a registered user I was unable to do so.

Regards,

Pieter

7. okyaena

okyaena Guest

Hi Pieter, I am actually a reg user , but iv been real lazy in having to change my settings to log in an post lol . sorry about that Robert (okyaena) :)

8. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

No problem. Everyone has a right to post anonymously here at Wilders. There are some disadvantages though ;)

Regards,

Pieter

9. :eek:

Well, this new version of PestPAtrol is MUCH MUCH Better than the presious version! It found ALL the spyware (cookies) which by itself, is no big deal, (cookies are cookies...) but it "runs" a lot better on my computer than the previous incarnation... Also, any email I sent them was answered almost immediately. Maybe, if you folks have a beef with Safersitre, you should try sending them an email now, and explain how you feel. It helped me out! I think, however, if you are a registered user, and yyou haven't recieved instructions on how to get the newest version, in addition to creating disgruntled clients, they are hurting their reputation. But, in my case, they made a happy customer out of me!

10. okyaena

okyaena Guest

I noticed there is a interesting free Pestpatrol Port Checker available http://pestpatrol.com/Support/About/About_Ports_And_Trojans.asp#portchecker Although not the Portpatrol that will be at some stage be a part of the new Pestpatrol Plus , albeit quite nice. There is also some very useful info , for , newbies like myself , to try an get ones mind around on Rats an trojans etc http://pestpatrol.com/Support/About/About_Risk.asp also http://pestpatrol.com/Support/About/About_Rats.asp dispite the many wacky posts about this product , i am really happy with the pretty much instant support and assistance provided of late and am definitely into getting the Pestpatrol Plus , regards , Robert

11. Ashak

Ashak Registered Member

Any official views from the Wilders team about the new version? I bought a year's license because it was at the time considered pretty highly here although that's since been revised.

12. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

I think the background of those involved with a piece of software is often telling. Not always, but sometimes it says a lot:

PestPatrol, Inc. was formed in May 2000 by veteran security experts Robert C. Bales and Dr. David J. Stang. Bales and Stang are the original founders of the National Computer Security Association (NCSA), later ICSA and today known as TruSecure Corporation. PestPatrol's goal was to develop a solution that would address the need for protection against trojan horses, hacker tools, and other non-viral malicious code. The dozen people who make up the PestPatrol team have between them over 60 years' experience in the information security arena. The company's flagship product, PestPatrol, complements anti-virus software, firewalls and intrusion detection systems by detecting and removing this non-viral malicious code - collectively known as computer pests. It is a powerful security solution that detects, identifies and eliminates trojan horses, hacker tools and spyware from individual and networked PCs. A home-user version of the software was launched in March of 2001 and today has almost 170,000 users worldwide. PestPatrol Corporate Edition is being introduced in February 2002 and adds support for login scripts, scheduling, centralized logging and updating, as well as integration with a range of complementary third-party security solutions. PestPatrol, Inc. is headquartered in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, with regional offices in Maryland, California, and Washington. The company is privately funded.

Let me make simply an interesting observation:

TruSecure is now being funded in part by In-Q-Tel, the private tech investment arm of the CIA. If you go to the In-Q-Tel site, it lists companies they have investments in:
    http://www.trusecure.com/partners/
    The site used to have TruSecure listed - they had all of their investments listed. Now look at the above link. One is now missing: TruSecure. It is no longer listed! However they added to the list an asterisk *partial listing Partial because TruSecure is not listed.

It has been known for sometime that this organization is a nest of techie spies. Loads of of current and former CIA people work with TruSecure (formerly NCSA and ICSA). In fact, the global headquarters for TruSecure is in Reston, Virginia - 15 miles from the offices of the Central Intelligence Agency in Langley, Virginia.

Again, sometimes - sometimes - the backgrounds of those who develop software can be telling. Then again, sometimes not. Interesting connections though if one were to play follow-the-careers.

John
    Luv2BSecure

13. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

Ashak,

In addition to John's interesting reply:

Not yet. We do have some copies stashed, waiting to be tested.

regards.

paul

14. Ashak

Ashak Registered Member

Ok will look forward to hearing the views of the team if and when version 4 is tested. The stuff about Tru-secure and In-Q-Tel is disturbing to say the least. It might well be nothing but I'd rather go for a different programme if there's even a hint of anything suspicious.

Thanks for your input anyway.

Regards#Ashak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.