personal computer security

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by bigc73542, Oct 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

PERSONAL COMPUTER SECURITY

One of the greatest fears computer owners face is the risk of someone breaking into their home and stealing their investment. The effects of data loss, alone, can be devastating! This page will cover a very effective method of protecting your personal computer.

Most criminals will not steal what they are unable to carry. If you make your computer so heavy that it is extremely difficult to lift, the risk of it being stolen is greatly reduced! This is accomplished by following these simple instructions...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What You'll Need

Large Container
    Shovel
    Large Screw Driver
    Water Supply
    Concrete Mix
    Minimal Amount of Wood

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Remove the cover of your PC and create forms, using scrap wood that you may have. If you don't have wood, sheet plastic or heavy cardboard may do the trick. It must be able to support the weight of the concrete when it's poured. If you have nothing to create forms with, use a saw to cut studs out of the walls of your home. They should work well. If you don't own your home, ask your neighbor if you may cut some out of his. You may wish to give the forms a light coat of oil to make removal easier, once the concrete is hard.

After your forms are in place, pour the concrete mix into a large container and add the appropriate amount of water. Concrete should be mixed to a thick consistency, without dry or powdery spots. If the mix is too watered down, it will run out of every little crack in the computer case and will not harden properly. Use a shovel to fill the case with concrete and work the concrete into place using your hands and/or a large screwdriver. Try to level the concrete, but keep it clear of screw holes or any place where the cover will mate with the chassis.

Allow adequate time to cure and remove the forms. I allow about 8 hours to pass before removing the forms and about 24 hours before moving the PC.

Once the forms are removed, the computer should be one big block of concrete on the inside. Replace the cover and wipe the PC down with a damp cloth to remove any concrete that may have run out of the case.

When complete, this PC weighed approximately one-hundred-ten pounds. I left this computer in front of my home for a week and it was not stolen! Just imagine how secure it would be in your home! Sure, the computer may no longer function, but rest-assured that it won't be stolen! ...I would, also, recommend not ever plugging it back in!

IMPORTANT UPDATE:
    After having this computer in front of my house for approximately two months, it was finally stolen! It was recovered the next morning in a ditch, one block from my home. The cover plates of the two empty drive bays were missing. I assume the criminal knocked them out to allow a location to grip the case. The computer was still intact and the thief is probably sore and suffering from back problems, but be aware that this method of protection is not fool-proof. I am watching the neighborhood for someone walking with a limp or in a wheelchair. I view this as a challenge and may have to fill a full-size tower with concrete, hoping to break the 200 pound mark. If this does not provide the desired results, I may resort to visiting a foundry and pouring with molten lead. I must first find an over-head crane to make it possible to position it in my front yard. There is the possibility of pouring it with concrete, after it is properly situated on the front lawn. A previous attempt had been made around Halloween, to steal this computer. It was partially moved off of my front step. Even if this method does not prevent your computer from being stolen, it should drastically increase the chances of it being recovered. Be warned that you may need to reinforce the rafters of your home, to support the weight of your computer, if it is not located in the basement.

:D just kidding

Attached Files:

• PC.JPEG
      PC.JPEG
      File size:
      69.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Peaches4U

Peaches4U Registered Member

3. BWMerlin

BWMerlin Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.