persistent 5-port port scans

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by overboard, May 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. overboard

overboard Registered Member

Does anyone know offhand what it is that's been active for about a month doing port scans, several scans in a minute or so, exactly five ports? A different set of five ports in each episode. This isn't a hazard -- I'm just curious.

2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Do the scans come from websites you recently visited? If so, then it may be that your network connection was not cleanly closed (causing the sites to continue trying to send data to you).

Otherwise, this could either be requests from a P2P network node (especially if you ever ran P2P software) or an active portscan attempt trying small blocks to avoid raising your suspicions (especially if the same source IP address - or a small group of them - was always involved).

3. overboard

Thanks for the ideas. I don't think it's web sites. About half the scan episodes originate from IP addresses near my own dynamically assigned IP address, e.g., remote host 216.55.xx.xx and local host 216.55.yy.yy. Other remote hosts have been scattered across the Western Hemisphere.

4. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Well, there are certainly some popular ( ;) ) worms out there these last weeks. The ports you are seeing activity on would really help though, as different subnets are seeing different activity levels and some ISPs are blocking some ports to prevent even wider spreading of these worms.

Activity on TCP ports 2745, 3127 and 6129 is pretty big right now. There's also a lot of activity on TCP ports 135, 139, 445 and 1025, which caused my ISP to block all incoming packets to these detination ports at their border routers.

5. overboard

Hi. Earlier today these five scans were logged between 10:21:46 and 10:21:55 originating from one IP address. All are TCP ports:

80, 135, 445, 1025, 2745
    80, 139, 445, 3127, 6129
    135, 445, 1025, 2745, 3127
    80, 139, 2745, 3127, 6129
    135, 445, 1025, 2745, 3127

6. LowWaterMark

LowWaterMark Administrator

Yes, that all looks absolutely normal to me. There's quite a group of worms now echoing across the Internet thanks to those people who keep editing and launching new variants and each one has slightly different scanning patterns.

This site may make interesting reading in terms of the current hot ports and what malware is causing it:

http://www.mynetwatchman.com/tp.asp

7. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Yep, I am getting constant scans within my IP range also on TCP ports: 1025, 2745, 3127, 6129.

These 3 are on the 'Top Attacked Ports" at http://isc.sans.org/
    2745 - Bagle.C
    3127 - mydoom
    6129 - dameware

Many are still infected with those beasties. :doubt:

(Hi LWM) :D

8. overboard

Thanks for those two links.
    Sasser attacks 445, Beagle attacks 2745, MyDoom attacks 3127, etc. At this point I'm guessing that Sygate PF is mistaken in detecting a single entity at a single IP address scanning all of these at once.

9. jvmorris

jvmorris Registered Member

Once upon a time, getting a multi-port scan from a single remote IP was something of a rarity. (Indeed, it was one of the things I used to flag.)

However, since the MyDoom worm opened its backdoor, there have been a sharp increase in multi-port scans. Indeed, I believe LinkLogger has detected some remote systems that seem to now be infested with multiple little beasties doing multi-port scans!

In other words, SPF may be quite correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.