Permissions problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by sjeter, May 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sjeter

sjeter Registered Member

I reformatted and reinstalled WinXP Home. When I restored the folder with the exe for True Image 9 Home, I selected 'restore with same security' (or something like that). Now I'm getting the same error with 'access denied'. I read the FAQ and the Microsoft KB article, and booted into safe mode. My user name is the same as on the backup image. I set full control for Administrator, Administrators, Owner/Creator, and Users (I'm the only user and am also the administrator). I clicked the buttons for Advanced and Owner and changed the ownership to my user name (Susan) - the one I used when I installed Windows. No joy - got 'access denied'. When I did the restore, should I have unchecked 'restore with same security'? I'm posting from another computer. Someone please walk me through this.

2. sjeter

sjeter Registered Member

bump...

3. dfw

dfw Registered Member

I the same type of problem reading a exturnal hard drive after a new install, The problem was that my account on the old install was pass word protected, so when I plug the drive into the new install I could see the files but not read them, adding the same password sorted me out, could your problem be along same lines.

4. sjeter

sjeter Registered Member

dfw, I didn't have a password before, but I think I know what the problem is now - hehe - as a long-time programmer, I should have known to read the manual - LOL.

On a backup, the default is to preserve the security settings. I'm going to go back and create a new install - delete the partition, create a new one, format it, and reinstall. Then, on the restore, I'll tell it to ignore the security settings and see what happens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.