PerfNet error in XP Event viewer

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by karad, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karad

karad Registered Member

XP Pro SP3, Server Service disabled, no file sharing.

I noticed recently this 'PerfNet' red cross in Applications, event Viewer,
    which I am not sure when it started,but I am positively sure I didnt have in the past in spite of always running XP with Server service disabled.
    A search for a possible solution brought to
    downloading

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Support Tools
    running "exctrlst"
    and unflagging Performance Count Enabled in PerfNet.

I think it might work, in spite of my OS not being in English, but I am hesitating on account of the fact my XP is SP3, whereas the solution needs an SP2 tool.

Can this 'tool downgrade' be done with satisfactorily results?

Given the fact this error-warning came about at a certain point in the OS life-which was always deprived of those useless Services as advised by Black Viper more or less- I surmise that it all comes down to a certain program not behaving well at start,rather than a lack of the Server function.

Consequently,can anyone who experienced the same error please point me to a lighter solution which does not need the download of any Reskit or assorted Tool from MS? (if there's one).

karad

XP Pro SP3,Avira,PrevX,ComodoD+,Returnil,KeyScrambler.

2. wrongway67

wrongway67 Registered Member

which is the "Event ID"? (1001, 2002, 2004, 2005, 2006...)

3. karad

karad Registered Member

ID Event 2004 : ...'impossible to open Server service...'

4. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Long time ago (several years) I used this tool to mend the same issue you have, with success. As fas as I remember, Extensible Performance Counter List Utility is tool from Win2000 Resource Kit, not SP2 (SP2 didn't exist when I used it). If it works, and the Event Log error is gone, I can't see why not use it. It is not a "downgrade", just another, somewhat older, tool. This just shows that performance administration has not changed in a long time.

The above being said, I see you are a tweaker and BlackViper follower, so why not suggest you this: you can disable Performance Counters alltogether without any external tool, as chances are you may never need them -

• Open the Windows registry
    • Locate the following key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib
    • Create a new DWORD Value and name it DisablePerformanceCounters
    • Assign the value 1 to the new DWORD Value
    • Exit the registry editor and reboot your PC
    Whichever method you choose, here's something to read on Performance Counters forehand.

5. karad

karad Registered Member

Thanks a lot ,Seer, for your very ad hoc and exhaustive reply,which is exactly what I was in need of.
    I will just ponder for a little while whether to use one or the other amongst the solutions you provided, but i am inclined to use the second one and disable altogether the P.Counters.
    As soon as I have an hour to spare today I'll check if /what might be impaired or suffer from such a move and then proceed to do it.
    I'll let you know the result.

For the time being I just wish you as many years of IT happiness as were the times Singidunum had to behave in an heroic manner!

Regards,
    karad

6. karad

karad Registered Member

@Nick-Seer

I was overtaken by an overcautious sentiment (my XP was never better) and also curiosity for

exctrlst.exe (Extensible Counter Listing Tool)

which I never had the pleasure to meet in my life, so decided to give it a go= it worked as promised: problem with the PerfNet warning solved,I hope forever.

It is a tool from MS Support tools for XP SP2,nonetheless,which is posterior to the Windows 2000 Tool you mentioned. An irrilevant thing as they (regarding exctrlst.exe ) are the exactly the same and would have undoubtedly produced the same result.

Please accept again my thanks and best regards,
    karad

7. Seer

Seer Registered Member

:)

You're most welcome, karad.

Regards,

8. Firebytes

Firebytes Registered Member

I tried the Extensible Performance Counter List Utility since I have been having errors in the Event Viewer regarding performance counters on my computer since April. (Not sure what caused the corruption of the counters in the first place as I didn't notice the errors until a long time after they began.) The tool doesn't seem to be able to control some of the performance counters. On my system the performance counters for "PerfOS", "PerfProc", and "WmiApRpl" re-enable themselves at will which then causes the errors to return.

I may try the registry edit to disable counters sometime and see how that works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.