PerfectDisk vs Diskeeper? Which is better?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Brandon, Feb 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

Another vote for Perfectdisk.

2. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

IMO, that's ATI's problem, not any defragger's problem. This has been beat about in the ATI forum before. ATI's problem is that it's sold as an imaging program but does both "file-based imaging" and backups. I'm not aware of any filed-based backup program that has this problem, nor am I aware of any other imaging program that tries to do such a "hybrid" operation as an "incremental image", hence, I see no other imaging program that has this problem.

Defraggers have been around a hell of a lot longer than ATI.

3. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

I found out that mst Defrag gives good results with respect to Acronis Incremental Imaging. For data partitions, you can have mst running in background and still reasonably small incremental saves. I am using both mst Defrag and Perfectdisk, which IMHO gives best results on System disks but has to be run often to keep peak level. Mst is excellent on data disks.

.merle1.

4. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I don't know about the rest of defragmenters, but PerfectDisk is better than the one I found in winXPproSP2 after
    clicking on Start/All Programs/Accessoires/System Tools/Disk Defragmenter. :)
    I also know for sure that PerfectDisk is better than Norton Defragmenter, because I used that one too and that was a nightmare.

Having PerfectDisk is also a preparation for trying FDISR in the near future without having problems
    with that annoying "c:\$isr\0\$isrbin"-thingy. :)

Nothing but the best for my two WD-raptors, they both deserve it.
    That's why I bought "PerfectDisk v7.0 (Build 46)" today and installed it right away on my computer AFTER uninstalling the demo version of PerfectDisk and REBOOTING (don't forget it). Also your memory has to be free of the demo version.

I only hope that I don't have to registrate myself over and over again, when I re-install PerfectDisk. Raxco might think, I'm using PerfectDisk on more than one computer and that is against the rules. :rolleyes:

Last edited: May 16, 2006
  5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Erik

Fear not. You can install and uninstall Raxco products (both PD and FDISR) to your hearts content. No problems at all.

Pete

6. ErikAlbert

Thanks Pete If you say it, I believe it. After all you use PerfectDisk longer than me. :)

7. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

Perfect Disk.

8. Peter2150

Erik

I've uninstalled and reinstalled FDISR at least a half a dozen time. Perfect disk is the same.

Pete

9. Howard Kaikow

What is FDISR?

10. crofttk

11. Howard Kaikow

THanx.

I knew about FD, but not FDISR.

Be careful FD is not for everyone, i.e., Raxco told me thart FD backs up ONLY the drive on which the OS lives.

A real backup program is a more general solution.

12. Peter2150

FD is not a backup program. It's worthless if your hard drive fails. But for everything else that can and does goe wrong, it's a god send.

13. crofttk

Call me a cheerleader but I think it's more a matter of not everyone being fully aware of FD-ISR's real value and some common misconceptions of what Leapfrog designed it for (as Peter highlighted) than that they understand it perfectly and it doesn't add value for their particular system -- yes, in the end, it's a value judgment for the individual.

14. ErikAlbert

That's what I wanted to hear. So there is a big difference.
    If you separate your data from your system, like me, you can't use FDISR as a backup for your personal data.
    I'm glad, I decided to separate snapshots and images from one another.

15. Peter2150

Let me repeat FDISR isn't not a backup program. In fact the ISR stands for Immediate System Recovery. It was only with the Archive ablity in the latest version that some of us connect the dots for backup.

In fact the Raxco folks repeatedly told me they didn't support, and didn't think FDISR could be/should be used as we were using it. Took a 30 minute conservation to finally pinpoint the concern. It was the software activation issue when hardware changes. Same issue that imaging can present.

Again keep in mind as designed FDISR excells for software crashes thrashes, hangs and bangs. Install something that you don't like. It's gone like it was never there.

BUT.... disk fails and with just FDISR, so sad, too bad. (Not totally true, but as was intended yes)

16. Howard Kaikow

According to Raxco, FD backs up only the system drive, so if you spread system suff over several drives, as some/many folkes do, FD doesn't help.

17. crofttk

You'll find, in most of the relevant threads, that's common knowledge and never really comes into debate. Even if you DID have your data on the system partition, most folks would want to "anchor" their data, excluding it from snapshots, to avoid losing changes that they've made if they have to fail over to a secondary snapshot. Note: by "data" I mean work files and documents such as those you'd typically have in the My Documents folder.

18. Howard Kaikow

I was not taling about having data files on the system drive.

Some "system" files and apps need not be on the system drive, so they do not get protected by FD.

19. crofttk

OK, gotcha, Howard. In the past, I've done that with my Local Settings\Temp folder and internet cache folder because it didn't much matter where they were but it's definitely a potential problem for those who do more than that.

20. Peter2150

You are absolutly right. Users just have to make a value judgement. The value of FDISR's ability to recover vs moving stuff from the system disk.

For ME it's a no brainer.

21. Howard Kaikow

Yes, it's a no brainer to rely on a backup program so I am not tied down in how I organize my files.

FD is of no use to anyone needing the flexibility to organize files optimally.

22. ErikAlbert

I have a question.

Acronis True Image allows me to create different versions of my system partition [C:] For example one of these versions, calls "TestErik".
    1. I run PerfectDisk to defrag this version RIGHT BEFORE I backup this version.
    2. I do a backup, which creates the file "TestErik.tib"
    3. I restore another version of my system partition to continue my work.
    4. One month later, I restore "TestErik.tib" over my actual system partition [C:]

Question : Is my system partition [C:] still defragged or do I have to run PerfectDisk again ?
    I think the answer is NO, because "TestErik.tib" was already defragged one month ago.

23. Peter2150

Sounds like a good test. My hunch is you may have to defragg, but thats only a hunch.

24. ErikAlbert

I will try it anyway, but I don't have much time right now and all my 3 other system versions are still defragged with the Windows Defragmenter LOL.
    So it will take some time before I know for sure.

25. crofttk

Assuming you're talking about straight ATI version 8 (not enterprise edition), although Acronis calls this an image, it is not a true image in the strictest sense because it doesn't also record the entire drive structure including empty clusters so it would have no memory of the physical layout of which clusters are occupied and which are not.

I'll agree with your answer, NO, but for a different reason. Just about any program writing to a bare drive (and if your drive is not bare, ATI will make it so either before or during it's write operation) will write to contiguous clusters so things will start out with no fragmentation.

So, similarly, my guess is also that you would have NO fragmentation even if you DID NOT defrag the drive before you imaged with ATI.

One of the more expensive versions of ATI, Enterprise or Server, I think, gives you the option of doing a complete physical drive image regardless of data contents, but not the home use versions (unless that changed with the most recent build of ATI 9 Home).

Hopefully, my position will pique your curiosity and lead you to do the testing sooner.;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.