PerfectDisk Problem

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by dallen, Jun 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilbertnl

wilbertnl Registered Member

2. dallen

dallen Registered Member

The Zone Alarm / PerfectDisk issue is resolved. All one needs to do is simply update the Anti-Spyware Driver in Zone Alarm. In other words, go to the Anti-Spyware / Anti-Virus tab and click update. Zone Alarm should prompt a restart and upon restart the issue is resolved.

3. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

I have the free version of ZoneAlarm. I don't find the Anti-Spyware/Anti-Virus tab. Am I missing somethingo_O?

4. dallen

dallen Registered Member

JohnBurns,
    You raise a good question. You use the free version of ZA and I use the Security Suite. Have you also noticed the issue between Zone Alarm and Perfect Disk? My guess is that you have noticed the issue or you would not be interested in this thread.

Zone Labs' solution to the PD conflict was to update the Anti-Spyware driver. I did this and the issue was solved. If you are experiencing the issue with the free version and the free version does not contain the Anti-Spyware component (I'm assuming this to be the case), then it seems that Zone Labs has only solved the issue for the Security Suite and possibly the Pro version.

If the above is true, then my only advice would be to contact Zone Labs and use Raxco's work-around until the issue is resolved.

If you let me know that you have the latest version of Zone Alarm (free) installed and you are still experiencing the conflict, I will be happy to forward your concerns along to my contact at Zone Labs and see if I can expedite things.

5. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

Thanks for posting the info, dallen. Now I can get my updates underway.

6. JohnBurns

JohnBurns Registered Member

Yes, I am using the free version of Zone Alarm. I WAS experiencing the problem between ZA and PerfectDisk, however, rather than use the "workaround" provided by PerfectDisk, I completely uninstalled the 6.5 version of ZA and reinstalled Version 6.1.744.001, which worked with PerfectDisk before and does now. But, 6.5 did not. I couldn't offline defragment as long as 6.5 was installed. I have also changed the "Check for Product Updates" on ZA to manual, so I don't get bugged to update because I am using the previous version. So far as I can tell, the "fix" which ZA made, applies only to Security Suite and the Pro Version, as you stated. Thanks for your post. I hope ZA really gets it fixed, however, I can't gripe too much, since I am using the free version - lol.

7. WWS

WWS Registered Member

Well, it's nice to hear someone has been lucky with the fix.
    I had already updated ZA Pro to 6.5.714 and then read of the PD/ZA conflict... too late. I don't think anyone with ZA Pro had the problem, so I tried to defrag with 714 and PD just hung and did nothing. I then up dated to 722 and PD did the same..nothing.
    Uninstalled ZAPro and reinstalled 6.1.744 and still PD sat there and did nothing and eventually came up with a big long error signiture which means nothing to me.
    I suppose PD is now damaged and the next thing to do is to uninstall and reinstall PD?
    My Add/Remove programs show PD7.0.42 followed by update 7.0.46

The error signiture...
    szAppName: PDEngine.exe szAppVer:7.0.0.46 szModName:ntdll.dll
    szModVer:5.1.2600.2180 aftset:00002233

8. jwcca

jwcca Registered Member

Previous posts blamed ZoneAlarm, but today I believe my problem,as above,was caused by DCS TDS-3 locking a file during it's load process, which got hung up and couldn't be terminated, even by DCS APT 4.0.
    I had to force a reboot by pressing the hardware Reset button and that's when the message "..could not gain exclusive access to C: Drive" popped up. However, no harm was done, after a subsequent reboot all went well.

I assume that under normal circumstances, if it is a locked file, that the file is locked, something is performed by the app and then the file is unlocked and doesn't cause this error. Normally. but every once in awhile it happens.

9. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Hi,

I haven't followed this entire discussion, but if you have Spyware Doctor installed on your system, then it might be conflicting with the PerfectDisk off-line boot issue.

I was having a similar issue a while back and it was traced to Spyware Doctor. The fix (thanks to PC Tools Tech Support) is below. Good luck.

Code:
    Thanks for contacting PC Tools Support!

I'm sorry for the problem you are currently experiencing.

We are aware of the problem with chkdsk, defrag and error-checking not working
    with Spyware Doctor installed. Our development team is currently working on this
    issue.

In the meantime, you could perform the following steps which will allow chkdsk,
    defrag and error-checking to run on startup.

1. Exit from Spyware Doctor (to exit from Spyware Doctor please right click on
    the Spyware Doctor icon in the notification area (next to the clock on the
    Windows taskbar) and select Exit from the menu that appears)

2. Delete the file 'ikhlayer.sys' from c:\windows\system32\drivers\

3. Restart Spyware Doctor 

Chkdsk, defrag and error-checking should now work.

10. zoso

zoso Registered Member

Hi there - I had the same error msg as you, and I think I have found a previously unknown solution - it's caused by Windows own defragger being set to run at boot-time, which may have been set by TuneUp Utilities or some other 'Optimisation' utility.

Here's what you need to do:

Start/Run/Regedit

Locate the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\DfrgBootOptimizeFunction

If value is Y (enabled) change value to N to disable.

Perfectdisk should now do an Boottime/Offline defrag for you with no problems now (well it worked for me anyway!)

Fingers crossed that it works for you!

11. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

Hi Dallen,

can you tell me what AntiSpyware engine version or Dat file version this fix was initiated?

I'm running ZA Pro (switched from the suite) 6.5.722.000. AntiSpyware engine version 5.0.10.0, Dat file version 01.200605.256.

I'm just wondering if this has the fix already and all is well with PD yet.

Thanks

12. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Rilla,
    I am using the following:
    Anti-spyware engine version: 5.0.36.0
    DAT filer version: 01.200608.315

To be sure, you should go to the Anti-virus / Anti-spyware tab and select update now.

13. Rilla927

Thanks Dallen,

I did the update. I have the same version that you listed.

Your PD runs fine now!

14. dallen

dallen Registered Member

Yes, very well. Also, keep in mind that a new version of PD will be released within the next month. Perfect Disk 8!!!:thumb:

15. Rilla927

Really! Does anyone know about the new features added in version 8?

16. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

I got this a couple of weeks ago in my email: ~Private email removed. If you get permission from the sender, you can repost the email. - Ron ~

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2006
  17. crofttk

crofttk Registered Member

18. Rilla927

19. Rilla927

Dallen,

have you had any problems at all since you (or anyone else) updated that driver in ZA on your computer?

After updating the spyware driver on my system everything seem to be okay until I restarted.

I have an image that was taken right before windows updates for August that was restored on this computer and the ZA Suite was installed v6.1.744.000. I uninstalled the Suite and put Nod32 and ZA Pro.

Once I restarted, BOClean and SuperAntispyware would not load at start up like usual. I turned off the spyware module in ZA and restarted and they both loaded.

Everytime I tried windows update it wouldn't even start d/l the first update, it would freeze up. Task manager wouldn't even come up, so I had to cold boot it from the box. Once I did that, I noticed I couldn't open the control panel or Administrative Tools, etc. So it was back to a restore.

I restored and got my windows updates (ZA Suite was on the original image) fine. That driver really whacked my system out for some reason. Now, I have yet to reinstall ZA Pro and Nod32. I'm probably taking a shot in the dark, but if I was to reinstall ZA and update the driver and shut the spyware module off this time, if I would have the same results at windows update and PD. I know by shutting it off BOClean and SuperAntispyware works then.

I checked out ZA Forum under general and there is a thread about the returned problem with PD and ZA Pro v6.5.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.