PerfectDisk 8 & ShadowProtect ?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by hjbyram, Jun 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hjbyram

hjbyram Registered Member

I have been using ShadowProtect (paid) version for several weeks and have a Schedule setup that does full backups on Saturdays and incrementals all other days. I am creating 3 backup sets before rolling off the oldest.

Yesterday I changed my evaluation version of PerfectDisk 8 to the full (paid) version. Although I opened the app, I didn't execute any defrags. Last night I also had a really hard shutdown - meaning I had to pull the plug since the PC was so locked up.

This morning when the backup ran, it was a full backup with a new backup set, not the expected incremental. Now I am not sure if it was the uninstalling of the trial version of PerfectDisk 8 & the installing of the full paid version that caused the change to my ShadowProtect backup schedule, or the bad shutdown, though I assume it's PerfectDisk.

I also posted on the ShadowProtect forum & it was suggested I delete my backup schedule, then run PerfectDisk, then recreate my backup schedule.
    I thought PerfectDisk would work well with ShadowProtect & this type of thing would not be needed? Is anyone else having to do this type of thing? I don't mind doing it, I'm just curious what others are doing in regards to defrag/image backups.

THANKS - Heather

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Heather

I have a Shadowprotect job running on one of my machines. I take an incremental every 15 minutes during the day. However I wouldn't have Perfect Disk on a schedule also. While in theory SP should be able to capture a snapshot while anything is going on, trying to do it during a defrag is probably pushing the limit if you think about it. Could also be microsofts VSS service that has a problem if the two go together. I don't do any automatic defragging.

As to it starting a new full image, I saw that once when I initiated a reboot just as an incremental started. Must have messed it up, so the next scheduled image, SP created a new full image and kept on going.

Pete

3. hjbyram

Hi Pete - thanks for the reply. I didn't explain that very well, as usual. The only thing I have scheduled is ShadowProtect. I don't have any schedule set up for PerfectDisk 8. But from your experience with these 2 products, I am back to thinking it was that hard shut down that caused this to happen & not PerfectDisk 8 being unistalled/reinstalled. Must have messed up stuff when it pulled the plug.

And on the subject of PerfectDisk 8 - I could have sworn that in the trial version there was something listed under Drive Properties/Excluded Files, but nothing is there in the paid version. With the trial version, I took the defaults, as I have with the paid version.

THANKS - Heather

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Yep, that kind of a shutdown is rough. I did it accidently once, by turning off the Battery backup before shutdown was finished. Had to restore an image to fix that mess.

Pete

5. hjbyram

Hi Pete - I read your threads on that problem you had.

Just to finish this thread out - today's backup - incremental - ran just fine and as expected. We are back to normal again. Actually I am very pleased with ShadowProtect, which detected a problem with the incremental counters & knew to automatically run the full backup. I just hadn't realized it was running the full backup when I initially saw that 100% sectors had changed yesterday.

It's unfortunate that my PC has always had this locking up problem - every so often, not all the time - and the only way out is to literally pull the plug. I guess one of these days I may be forced to restore an image, too, though it hasn't happened yet!

THANKS - Heather

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.