PerfectDisk 7: MFT Zone Size + Defrag Speed?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by Birdman, Jul 8, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

PD version: 7.0 (Build 46)

I have a couple of questions regarding PerfectDisk 7.0.

QUESTION 1: After performing my usual nightly defrag (first off-line, followed by SmartPlacement)....I noticed that the MFT Zone has greatly DECREASED in size.

Usually the MFT Zone occupied about 5-6 FULL lines. It's been that way since I installed and performed the very first defragmentation. Now the MFT Zone has shrunk (see pic below) to about 11 squares/blocks.

http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/5771/image16xh.jpg

Is this normal and how does something like this just happened? I've always had the "Aggressive Free Space Consolidation" option marked under Online Degrag settings properties.

QUESTION 2: Also I have noticed a SLOWDOWN when performing on-line defrags (even after doing an off-line defrag first).

Recently I have installed FD-ISR w/ 2 created snapshots. PerfectDisk seems to take extra long between 51% - 78% of the defrag process. In total, it's taking about 25 mins to perform a defragmentation on a 80GB hard drive with 26.2 GB of data.

Is this too slow or about right?

Any help/info would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Can't say about the MFT but on defrag time, do you have any real time scanners on. They should be off or they will slow it down.

Also I will comment for the mods here. Most of us have purchased FDISR from Raxco, and also use Perfect Disk. But this forum is a leapfrog forum and as such really only applies to FDISR.

Maybe the mods will move it where it should be.

Pete

3. Birdman

Birdman Registered Member

Thanks for your help Peter2150. Sorry if this was posted in the wrong forum, but I noticed a few other PD-related topics here.

The only "real-time scanners" that I have enabled are WinPatrol and Norton IS 2006. Would disabling those make a difference in defrag time?

Thanks.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not familiar with Winpatrol, but I would disable Norton. What is happening is everytime PD moves a file the scanner has to check it. If Winpatrol scans files, I would disable it. I think you will see a noticable difference.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.