PERFECTDISK 2008 SETTINGS

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by vinnyutd6899, Jul 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vinnyutd6899

vinnyutd6899 Registered Member

hi what settings have you got on PD 2008? i was using stealth patrol but now i have set it to defragment everyday at 1pm is this to much?

2. RAD

RAD Registered Member

I can't say that I really know what is "best". But after an initial period of experimentation with frequent defrags, I finally settled on "Manual-only" for drives where I store data and media that doesn't change frequently, and I leave my system drive where programs are installed on "Stealth Patrol".

It seemed like the "smart placement" strategy really worked well after a few defrags, so the drives now don't refragment nearly as fast. That is why I changed to manual and stealth.

I never even know PD is working. My C: drive is always down to less than 0.5% fragmented every time I check.

3. Manny Carvalho

Manny Carvalho Registered Member

Too much is a relative thing. I don't think it offers you any advantages but if your system runs OK then it's not an issue.

Personally, I think defragmentation is now over hyped and today's machines can handle this much better. I use the stealth mode too and have set it so that it only defrags when the level is at 3%. So that ends up being once every week or two. Why 3%? I was too conservative. It's likely 10% is fine but since I don't ever notice PD working at 3% I left it alone and honestly never think about it.

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

I like 4-6 percent it keeps the running time down, I also have CPU Priority above normal.

5. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Registered Member

It really depends upon the velocity of your data changes. I run it about every week or two.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.