PerfectDisk 12 - is it actually useful?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Hungry Man, Sep 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

During Boot-Time, Puran Defrag does Defragmentation, Optimization and Gap Filling.:thumb:

2. moontan

moontan Registered Member

in does it during a regular 'hot' defrag as well.
    the free version is identical to the paid version.
    except the free version is only for home use and such. :)

3. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

UltraDefrag offers boot time defrag.

4. sweater

sweater Registered Member

Philippines, the Political Dynasty Capital of the
    LoL!!!

In the past, I'm "attracted" to paid pro version of defragementers, but when I learned that something is running in the background even if I'm not using it and eating up some cpu/ram I've just decided to be content w/ the free version. I guess it just works fine like the pro and best of all nothing fancy are running in the background.

5. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have been using PerfectDisk for a few years. I have the real time defrag turned off. Don't need it. I was using it on my old XP computer and re-installed it on my new WIN7. After I finished setting up the new computer and transferring all my stuff over and finally fine tuning it, I found the HD to be 6% fragmented and did a defrag. The computer was more responsive and seemed faster afterwards. After 3 months of use it's only 1% fragmented so I suspect It'll be a long while before I'll need another defrag.

6. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

Only if you don't want to think about running manual defragmentation anymore.
    I have felt the best performance improvements when using Ultimate Defrag and O&O Defrag (zones).

7. Spysnake

Spysnake Registered Member

Perfectdisk uses a technique which moves files to the center of the disk based on the usage. This is of course commonplace today with defragmenters, but each one of them has a different criteria for the files to be moved. I personally felt that it helped with my mostly used apps - browser for example. I was able to start Firefox earlier after boot than before the defragmentation. But the difference was minimal.

8. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

I don't understand how placing files based on modification date like PerfectDisk would improve performance though, it can prevent some fragmentation but you usually access system and program files, not changing.
    Isn't it just unnecessary file shuffling?

9. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Defragmentation does improve performance when your HDD is really fragmented of course :D
    Ex. Sometimes my other partition gets slow, like when you open a folder full of pictures it takes a LOT of time to load the thumbnails, open a folder of exe's and its the asme, after i defrag they load a hella lot faster :thumb:

10. reddice

reddice Registered Member

This is why I ditched PD12. I found it just wastes time and wears out the hard drive quicker by moving files by modification date. It would literaly move a huge file just move it by modification date then when you used your disk it would move it again everytime. This causes the defrag to take forever. PD12 takes forever to run a defrag. Once it took nearly a hour and the drive was in worse shape then before, more excess fragments because it would do its dumb placement by moving huge files that did not need to move.

Now I just let Windows 7 do the defrag process and I also run TuneUp Drive Defrag which is part of TuneUp Utilities. That defrag program is really good. A fast defrag only takes a couple of minutes while a thorough can take longer but not as long as PD12 takes.

Just don't waste your money on PD12. It will wear out your disks quicker as all it does is move files that don't need moving.

11. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

Thank you for the input.

12. The Seeker

The Seeker Registered Member

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

way to much garbage running with o&o and its a shame since i did really like it. but it just sucks up memory. once you open it and run a defrag it used somewhere around 60-100mb or more of ram and it never lets it go till you go and actually end the o&o process. otherwise it just sits there also had way to many start up things for me. if i wanted it to run with windows everytime i would set it up for that. and with ud well..... good luck with them i gave up.

pd12 imo is very good IF you dont use it on auto. i find on auto it slows things down. i run it manually and i do use smart placement myself though a modified one. but i do find if you set it up right in the drive properties options it really does a good job. many people never dive deep enough in to really set it up..

Attached Files:

14. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

but it does not defrag the WHOLE drive on boot like puran does including all the pagefile, mft, registry etc... imo puran is hands down the best free defragger out there and better than many paid ones even..

15. 1chaoticadult

1chaoticadult Registered Member

:thumb: Puran Defrag.

16. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

I use CleanMem to deal with memory leaks and such, it does NOT push memory into pagefile like all those other so called memory optimizers.
    -http://www.pcwintech.com/about-cleanmem-
    Give it a try!

17. Spruce

Spruce Registered Member

O&O Defrag service use 1100k now instead of 50000 with CleanMem (runs after schedule, no background process)

18. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Awesome!
    100% agree with you!
    Puran Defrag All the Way! :thumb:

19. nimd4

nimd4 Registered Member

You forgot 1..;) :)
    Code:
    http://www.mydefrag.com/
    This used to be called JkDefrag (kessels.nl/JkDefrag) and the thing about this software is that it does everything EXACTLY like the expensive, paid programs. Sorts out by zones, leaves gaps, etc. It can be configured for different strategies as well.

PS. ScanDefrag will run it @ boot, b4 Windows fully loads; get it @
    Code:
    http://www.blueorbsoft.com/scandefrag/Readme.html
    PPS. It was getting updated frequently in the past, I hope MyDefrag isn't dead :/

20. jelson

jelson Registered Member

I don't have any benchmarks, BUT

I've used Defraggler, MyDefrag, Puran Defrag, PerfectDisk11 & Diskeeper 2011.

Currently running Diskeeper.

Why? I make regular partition images of my system drive & prefer not to have files, directories & MFT fragmented.

Each of the apps have their benefits & limitations.

Should you invest in the purchase of one?

Try Puran, it's free, does boot-time defrag of system files & see it makes a diff for you. If it fulfills your needs...

21. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

When MyDefrag has reached version 4.3.1,
    ScanDefrag uses the outdated JkDefrag 3.36 !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.