PepiMK Software File Protector

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by PepiMK, Apr 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PepiMK

PepiMK Registered Member

As an answer to the RadLight Media Player threat, PepiMK Software has written a small program to protect files against deletion and changes.

Download (200kb): http://patrick.kolla.de/software/files/fileprotector.zip

Unzip this file until any directory, and run the included program. You'll see a new traybar icon.
    Right-click on the icon for a popup menu.
    Select 'Setup' and a dialog will appear.
    Add files to be protected from the explorer using drag'n'drop.
    Add all Spybot-S&D and/or Ad-Aware files using the menu.
    Toggle checkbox if you want it to be run on every system startup.
    These files are now protected from deletion or changes.
    Left-click on the traybar icon to pause or resume protection (for example if you want to update the include files / reflist).

You may notice that the dialog title and the title in the taskbar are looking funny - many numbers in it. This it to prevent applications like Radlight Media Player to detect and terminate File Protector.

This is version 0.0.1. There may still be some bugs, but my first tests on 2k & 98 showed that Ad-Aware files weren't deleted any more (neither program files nor desktop icons/startmenu items) upon installing the RadLight Media Player.

2. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

Nice one, PepiMK!  Maybe you and Javacool should strike up a partnership!

3. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi PepiMK!

I believe there're ways to get around file deletion and changes. Would it be included into your next release of SpyBotS&D or if not why not add it as an additional feature instead of a separate program?

Thanks

4. PepiMK

PepiMK Registered Member

Right now the protection sheme is quite simple - but effective until the program itself is found and killed (because I basically tell Windows to protect the file ;) ). I still need to change it into a service and/or vxd to make it safer.

Of course I will put something like this into the next Spybot-S&D version (or the planed Resident version).
    This is just a 1.5 hours quick tool for the current situation.

5. WE Sim

WE Sim Guest

Hi PepiMK!

Thanks for the reply

6. snowman

snowman Guest

Pepi

thank you most sincerely for rushing to our aid/defense .......both you and Javacool are exceptional.

may I ask a question please......my os is winME..which has file protection......although I have dl'ed your tool.....do I actually need ito_O   or, does the built in file protection in winME prevent an exploit such as radlight...?    

others here at the BB also use winME an may be interested.

thank you for the time you gave to providing us with your file protection program.

snowman

7. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

Just to answer your one question - Win ME's built in file-protection only works on important (deemed by MS) Windows system files. Thus, Ad-Aware is not covered (nor is any other program.)

8. snowman

snowman Guest

Javacool

thank you for the every so quick response.  this was the way I thought winME file protection worked but wasn't absolutely sure......an when in doubt....ask those who know.....an I am always in doubt.  LOL

Thankya Java......I sure hope both you and Pepi realize the great service you are sharing with so many....an that its appreciated.

Snowman

9. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

"Add files to be protected from the explorer using drag'n'drop."

What?
    Where?
    HOW?

lol! Pete

10. PepiMK

PepiMK Registered Member

Haven't had any problems with that...

... but download it again, it's now a 0.0.3 with a menu item 'Add more files...' that will show a dialog box, just in case drag'n'drop shouldn't work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.