PeerBlock

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zen_usuario, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Does PeerBlock use Windows Filtering Platform in Win 7? I'm not seeing this non blocking or beating to the punch here. I get notifications on outbound blocks with Win 7 firewall. When PeerBlock blocks something, I get the blinking tray icon, then moments later I get the popup alert from TaskSchedule that something has been blocked. Addresses of the blocked are the same in Event viewer as PeerBlock log.

2. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Yes, from a 3rd party.It is announced on the OP user forum and then user follows the link and downloads a special op fw list ip block list. At one time, this list was also done for OA. But I'm not sure about that now since the owner ship change at OA.

The link I've forgotten for the moment but the file name was

ipblocklists_malware_rogue_only.txt

It can come from the CofUpdates I think.

3. Escalader

Hi Greg:

Your post I find encouraging !

I only say this as I would prefer a single ip blocking system as it is less complex and more independant of OP or Eset etc.

Setting aside the HOST file usage if I could use PeerBlock I would.

I can't answer your PeerBlock question as to how they do filtering in W7. Maybe somebody else here does or you could ask the vendor?

4. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Yes, I remember that. It was provided by Donna Buenaventura. But, those lists haven't been updated for quite some time. IP blocklist for Outpost was last "Updated 07 Dec 2010" -http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?app=downloads&showcat=1

5. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Ok thanks. I'll snoop around and see what I can find. My only gripe with PeerBlock is that some times it blocks what my little knowledge calls an iffy thing of akamaitechnologies. This may be a good thing but every now and then, it's used in conjunction with a windows update check for some reason. I've also recently made allowances in Malware Defender and Windows Firewall for all these different Certificate site checkings that go on all the time. I'm seriously considering back tracking and deleting all the allowances. Prior to allowing them, everything seemed to work and update fine with them being blocked. It was just annoying me with the daily popups from Win 7 firewall and Malware Defender. Is there any benefit to allowing these sites of Comodo, McAfee, Verisign, Verisign Global, Entrust, Ocsp.digicert etc.. ?

6. Escalader

Yes, I just went to the site:

http://www.calendarofupdates.com/updates/index.php?app=downloads

7. J_L

J_L Registered Member

:blink: Where do you get that information from?

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

9. Escalader

Well, I worked in 3 of them as a adjunct professor in the computer lab and ran into many activities of that nature.

It was enough to scare me.

The block site providers make a large list of these available so users can block them. (Not all of course)

Check it out with others as well.

10. Doraemon

Doraemon Registered Member

I've been using PeerBlock for 1 week and I must say that I like it very much! :argh:

Didn't know about it before but now I'll use it in my 3 computers.

Damn kewl! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

11. Kyle1420

Kyle1420 Registered Member

Can someone please explain to me why I should use peerblock?
    I've been a part of a private tracker(invite only) for 1 and half years, very happy. So that should reduce the risk significantly..

My current way of thinking is regarding torrenting;
    If the good guys are checking peers for downloads, Why would they use a known IP address, Wouldn't they change it? I'm sure they are aware of peerblock\guardian
    Static,Dynamic. Often IP addresses change.

12. Escalader

Good question. It is only as effective as the list maintainers make it.

For the sake of this post I'll assume when you say "they" you mean the bad guys. Now I'm not clear what you mean when you say you are a member of a private tracker (invite only).

Are they bad guys or good guys? In other words it is unclear to me what you mean there? What data do you guys track and what is done with it after they have tracked it?

13. RJK3

RJK3 Registered Member

I had the same thing occur in one of the versions, so at least you know you aren't the only one.

14. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

Tip: If peerblock is using lots of CPU, then unchecking the "Show allowed connections" from Settings may help to take it back down significantly (for me it went down from ~30% back to ~3-4% on my Windows XP 64-bit system).

15. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Are there any good websites to download peerblock lists? Aside fom the iblocklist.com..

16. nessy90

nessy90 Registered Member

You can get lists from from Bluetack.
    hxxp://www.bluetack.co.uk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.