PeerBlock

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zen_usuario, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

Thanks..

2. mortl

mortl Registered Member

Can anyone tell me the best way to get the most out of this application? I have gotten a couple letters in the mail telling me to stop downloading movies... so my internet provider is watching me one way or another. By the way i never use torrents for movies just simply one click links such as rapidshare,zshare,megaupload etc ...

3. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

well by using the default ip lists peerblock comes with, i have never had an issue with downloading and my ISP, so im not sure in ur case, but peerblock seems to do the trick.

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

As firzen771 said, default lists will be fine. I'd change ISPs if you can. :p

5. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Wonderful update, much faster than that buggy PeerGuardian (had bad experience). Almost makes no difference while surfing as well.

Great job on the 64-bit license!

BTW, is there a general malware blocklist?

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I am not going to use the HTTP block again. :mad: It has Huuuge FPs. Blocked Trend Micro site too and lots more...:gack:
    But don't block well known shady sites:thumbd:

7. firzen771

i wouldnt use the HTTP blocker either, but what "well known" shady sites are u talking about exactly?

8. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

You can safely visit warez sites, that are safe...:p But AV sites are dangerous...;)

9. 0strodamus

0strodamus Registered Member

That depends on what blocklist you are using. The IP addresses that end up on these lists usually are those where instances of anti-P2P activity has been observed and have nothing to do with whether they are shady or not. Peer Guardian was not designed to be a virus protection product.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Agreed, I don't use the huge p2p lists except on my overnight downloader machine. I'm using several other lists.

Did work pretty well with Malware Domains List.

11. firzen771

well the whole point of these blockers for the most part at least is to cover ur tracks wen visiting warez and downloading movies, that is exactly the use of peerblock for many users of it so it wouldnt make sense to block the sites the users are using. personally i only use it for downloading movies.

2nd of all, warez sites ALWAYS being malicious is a common misconception, there are many legitimate warez sites that offer virus free cracked software from select releasers. so its not a universal thing that warez sites are automatically malware.

AV sites probably arent directly blocked, but perhaps the companies hosting the sites perhaps, but ive had my program called xfire which is an IM program get blocked from connecting because it connects to a VIACOM server so the situation depends.

12. Escalader

Escalader Registered Member

Hi Firzen771!:thumb:

Been off in the 3rd party FW jungles again. Just got back to the base here with a few more battle scars.

I hate to bug you BUT:

1) Is there a version now of PeerBlock (peerguardian?) that I could try on my windows 7 64 bit notebook? Do you have a link.

2) When user depends on the block lists that can be embedded in FW SW or for that matter Nod32's blocked sites feature it limits us to that SW. If I want to change vendors ( as I do from time to time) I lose my block lists.

End of daily rant... see ya

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

1) Peerblock stable already supports Windows 7 64-bit. They have their driver signed.

14. firzen771

well to ur first point, the stable release of peerblock shuld support 64bit. and im not exactly sure what ur 2nd question is? or is it just a statement?

15. Escalader

Thanks, I tried the beta 64 bit version and decided to remove it as some strange behaviour occurred. These may be 100% related to the FW/Av experiments I was running at the time so I make no claim of PeerBlockissues. In a pop up when I went to the bottom with drag down bar it worked BUT when I tried to go to the top PC forced me to bottom on it's own. Will try the stable PeerBlock and watch for this again.

Yes the 2nd is a statement not a question but feel free to comment on this. I see by your signature you are running Comodo in concert with PeerBlock?

16. firzen771

i dont really run peerblock, just an random occasions for short periods time wen downloading a movie typically, so its rarely on for me, but it does work fine with CTM.

17. Escalader

Thanks...!

I'm about to try Peerblock with Nod32 V4 64 bit... I'm holding my breath

18. Escalader

Okay, I have PB stable running on Window 7 64 bit.

Nod32 V4 64 bit also running.

I set PB up not to start with boot up.

So far it hasn't found any ip's to block.

It may when I start surfing about. :doubt:

19. pajenn

pajenn Registered Member

update on my problems:

1. I experienced the same with PeerGuard2 as with PeerBlock.
    2. The problems stopped (I think) once changed the settings to 'History -> Log none' and 'Remove log every 7 days.' (I guess the latter option is moot when logging nothing).

Question:
    Online Armor Premium has a blacklist feature. Can that be used to do the same job PeerBlock does?

20. Escalader

99% yes, PD's automatic list updating may be missing on the OA lists.

These lists are all from similar sources. So, if you can load the same sources into OA you would match PB.

But, if for some reason you moved to a different FW you lose all your block lists. My bias is to keep the lists outside the FW world.

21. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

If one is using PeerBlock and only has the Spyware and Advertising enabled, is the PeerBlock driver supposed to load? I installed this(the beta) yesterday and notice that the driver is not loaded.

22. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Registered Member

yes ;)

23. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Well I have the GUI icon in the system tray, but I don't see where the driver is loaded. Wait, Ok now it's loaded. For some reason when I checked yesterday the driver wasn't listed in the registry or device manager under show hidden devices. It's there now though.
    Thanks

24. Escalader

A while back I thought I saw a reference to lists of whole country block lists for PB.

Has anybody found those?

25. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

Have you tried looking at the iblocklist website?

Might be on there

martin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.