PeerBlock

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zen_usuario, Aug 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Caulk this problem up with Online Armor with PeerBlock. No issue without Online Armor. Update crash gone!

2. JohnnyDollar

JohnnyDollar Guest

3. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Just tried Peerblock tonight. Didn't want to install correctly at all,so it's back to Peerguardian for me.

4. koliko

koliko Registered Member

PeerBlock works perfectly on Win7. :thumb:

5. Rickster100

Rickster100 Registered Member

Working perfectly here also, using the latest r202 beta release. Overall much more stable on XP than PeerGuardian ever was. Long may work continue on this new project. Keep up the good work Mark. :thumb:

6. Rickster100

Hello Boost,

I found that I had to completely remove PeerGuardian in order for PeerBlock to install correctly (on my XP system)....

7. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Yup,thats what I'll try next :thumb:

8. Rickster100

Hello Boost,

Ive also noticed that PeerBlock (all versions ive tested) occasionally does not install its pbfilter driver correctly during installation, resulting in the error some users are finding. Showing hidden devices in Device Manager will verify that the pbfilter driver has not installed. In this case, ive found that directly rebooting the system corrects the driver install issue and it runs perfectly and sets up as it should.

This could be unique to my system though but ill continue to play with it and post a screenshot of the install error if I can catch it. Ive yet to install it on my Vista and 7 setups, so it may only be an XP related error.

Attached Files:

9. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Thats the problem I'm having,is the pbfilter driver not installing correctly.I'll try the rebooting once and see if it works.

10. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

Its useless scare ware. It blocks legitimate seeders and leechers from bittorrent traffic. They dont do any research on the actual IP addresses they ban.

11. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

not completely ive seen it block some pretty important IP's before from media trackers.

12. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

It can block Legit IP's but I wont agree it does more harm then good. I have been using Peer 2 Peer for years never had a problem with it.

13. firzen771

agreed, and wenever i have to visit a site thats blocked i simple right click the IP and choose "allow for 15 minutes" and good to go.

14. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I leave blocking HTTP off, Tho that's because I have other ways of blocking those requests.

15. tipstir

So is peerblock working or not you guys? I still have PG2 installed? Is Peerblock buggy, I don't see this PFilter?

16. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

I have had no problems with Peerblock in Windows 7 64bit. It's more stable for me then PG2 ever was.

17. firzen771

same for me, it works completely flawlessy on Win7 32bit. :thumb:

18. tipstir

Okay then it works then.. I should be good then...

19. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

Even a person (Mike that would be you) takes pg and makes bug fixes is really great step for pg users. I don't see a point to use pg anymore or to act like pg fanatic while pb is working charmly on my computer. Thanks for pb :)

20. subset

subset Registered Member

Even the guys from Phoenix Labs recommend PeerBlock.
    http://phoenixlabs.org/

The problem with unduly blocked sites is a different matter.
    This will always happen with blocklists which use wide IP ranges.

A guy wasn't able to access his own page till he found out, that his IP was in the IP range of the Spyware list.
    Or an OA user wasn't able to access tallemu.com because their site is hosted by CalPOP.com, a very large dedicated server company in Los Angeles.
    Well, there is also a spammer hosted by CalPOP.com and someone added the whole IP range of CalPOP.com.
    Collateral damage of the IP range warriors. :p

Cheers

21. inka

inka Registered Member

The way I read it... CalPop, which hosts the tallemu.com website, is a subsidiary of some company regarded as anti-p2p. The blocklist author(s) are aware of the problem (the collateral damage) and have responded "aw gee, too bad".

The widely-circulated blocklists (via Bluetack, CalendarOfUpdates, iBlocklist sites) are terribly misguided. The lists contain many outdated entries and scads of mis-labeled netblock ranges. In a recent thread here, I griped about OnlineArmor now "supporting" import of blocklists which are in "Bluetack" format. Why the heck, who the heck chose a format which places comments at the start of each line, so that you can't sort the lines according the start IP of the range listed for each entry?

Ah, that obtuse format begs use of Bluetack's "Blocklist manager", and/or paid subscription to the "private" iBLocklist lists. Well, the whining announcements on the bluetack site indicate that donations aren't sufficient to cover their overhead. Yeah, lack of perceived value? Hmm, ya think? Once that site has fully withered and died, hopefully a new, better format will come into favor (and will be maintained more scrupulously).

edit:
    I've periodically compared the paid iBlocklists against the "free" versions, as recently as Oct 2009.
    The PAID lists are considerably smaller, and most ranges are correctly labeled.
    My criticism is toward both iBlocklist and Bluetack for continually providing a DISservice by knowingly hosting/distributing the ill-maintained "public" versions of the lists. To iBlocklist's claim "um, we don't author any of the lists, we just generiously provide the hosting" I would counter with "um, and collect subscription payments from as many spoonfeeders as possible".

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  22. Fajo

Fajo Registered Member

Frankly on my end something like this aint a problem, the only time I run Peerblock Is when I have p2p going other times its shut off. I guess people that run it 24/7 might run into a problem but other then that I don't see the issue.

Again something to fight the spammers is better then nothing, I only use it when I have to.

23. subset

subset Registered Member

With PG/PB most block just UDP and use it only along with their p2p clients.
    But with Online Armor you can just import the IP list and when activated it blocks all IPs all the time. Unfortunately there are many who just import all kind of lists and wonder why they can not move in any direction afterwards.

Cheers

24. tipstir

Version 1 not updating then it was still running in processes after I had shut it down. Then I had gave it another shot and it updated. I see a beta version was released but then that would be unstable.

25. Boost

Boost Registered Member

Uninstalled Peerblock :thumbd:

Peerblock caused my computer to immediately shut down & restart as soon as I try to launch Peerblock,so back to Peerguardian for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.