PeerBlock... Pretty much dead?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by m00nbl00d, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Haven't tried the beta version. I was hoping PeerBlock would run under a LUA in XP without installing additional software. I know some time ago there was talk about running it as a service (version 2?) but don't know any more details of that being fulfilled.

2. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

3. trott3r

trott3r Registered Member

"Port Allow List - The new "Port Settings" tab allows you to unblock ports (incoming and/or outgoing). This means that PeerBlock will not filter any connections from/to those ports. This can for example be used if you're running PeerBlock on a public FTP server, or if you want to ensure that outgoing SMTP mail communications are never blocked. Many thanks to night_stalker_z for his hard work on this feature!"

This could be useful for separating email and web browsing from p2p

4. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

So should i use Peerblock v1.2 or Bot Revolt free?

5. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Use the new version - its free and there are numerous improvements that now make it worth using over BotRevolt - which is paid. :thumb:

6. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

how do Peerblocks free lists compare to Bot Revolts pay service? I want to be sure Peerblock is providing something worthwhile.

thanks, NormanF

7. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

Peerblock uses iblocklist's lists to block "bad" IPs. They get revenue from them to continue to develop their filter firewall. This is good news for those of us who had given it up for dead!

And since its open source, that makes it preferable in principle over the proprietary BotRevolt. Of course, you can buy additional lists from iblocklist to support PB's ip blocking service.

But the installed default lists that are updated weekly from the iblocklist servers should be more than sufficent for home users! :thumb:

8. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

so you think for $10 a year a home user wouldn't get much more in the way of protection?

$10 a year for access to all lists.

https://www.iblocklist.com/subscribe.php

9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Is Peerblock dead? Same question again I see lol
    Last version 1.2 was released on January 14, 2014...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.